The Detectives (1959 TV series)
|Also known as||Robert Taylor's Detectives|
|Written by||Lee Berg
Calvin Clements Sr.
Norman T. Herman
|Directed by||Lewis Allen
|Composer(s)||Herschel Burke Gilbert|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||3|
|No. of episodes||97|
Arthur H. Nadel
|Cinematography||Joseph F. Biroc
Wilfred M. Cline
|Running time||22–24 minutes
|Original channel||ABC (1959–1961)
|Original release||October 16, 1959– May 18, 1962|
The Detectives (also known as The Detectives Starring Robert Taylor and Robert Taylor's Detectives) is an American crime drama series which ran on ABC during its first two seasons, and on NBC during its third and final season. The series, starring motion picture star Robert Taylor, was produced by Four Star Television.
Taylor stars as Detective Captain Matt Holbrook, the tough, no-nonsense head of an elite police investigative unit in a major U.S. city. Ostensibly, each man in Holbrook's hand-picked squad of detectives came from a different division. Lt. Johnny Russo (Tige Andrews) was from burglary, Lt. Jim Conway (Lee Farr) came from Homicide and Lt. Otto Lindstrom (Russell Thorson) was from the Bunco Squad. In the series' second season, Farr left the series and was replaced by Mark Goddard as Detective Sgt. Chris Ballard. Future Batman star Adam West joined the cast during the third season as Sgt. Steve Nelson.
The series moved to NBC for its third season and was increased from thirty to sixty minutes. The series was also retitled to Robert Taylor's Detectives. A total of 97 episodes were produced before the series was canceled in 1962. The series was produced for Four Star by Levy-Gardner-Laven Productions, which produced other successful Four Star series, such as The Rifleman, and The Big Valley.
Interesting notes: A few years after The Detectives ended, Barbara Stanwyck,Robert Taylor's ex-wife, had her very own successful series also produced by Four Star/Levy-Gardner-Laven Productions, The Big Valley, which also aired on ABC.
Future Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry was a contributing writer to the series .
Several cast members on The Detectives went on to major TV roles after the series ended:
- Mark Goddard, who played Det.Chris Ballard, went on to star in the CBS sci-fi series Lost In Space.
- Tige Andrews, who played Det.Johnny Russo, went on to play as a police captain in ABC's The Mod Squad.
- Russell Thorson, who played Det.Otto Lindstrom, had a lost list of film and T.V. credits before and after The Detectives, including the T.V. movie "Cocoon"-the original pilot episode of the CBS-TV series, Hawaii Five-O starring Jack Lord .
- Adam West, who was added to the cast in The Detectives' final season as Det. Steve Nelson, went on to play the lead role in the ABC-TV series "Batman".
- Robert Taylor,series star of The Detectives, who played Det.Capt.Matt Holbrook,went on to star in the successful syndicated TV series Death Valley Days,where he remained until his death in 1969 .He had enjoyed a long and successful film career as a leading man in over 70 films- prior to starring on The Detectives.
- Robert Taylor as Det. Capt. Matt Holbrook
- Tige Andrews as Lt. John "Johnny" Russo
- Russell Thorson as Lt. Otto Lindstrom (1959-1961)
- Lee Farr as Lt. James "Jimmy" Conway (1959-1960)
- Mark Goddard as Sgt. Chris Ballard (1960-1962)
- Ursula Thiess as Lisa Bonay (1960-1961)
- Adam West as Sgt. Steve Nelson (1961-1962)
Syndication & DVD release
In syndication, the series was rebroadcast for a time under the name, Captain of Detectives. Rebroadcasts were shown in the early 2000s on cable's TV Land network.The Detectives, as of 2015, has yet to see a DVD release in the U.S., but has been released in Germany under the name "Kein Fall für FBI" 
- Brown, Les (1992). Les Brown's Encyclopedia of Television (3 ed.). Gale Research. p. 152. ISBN 0-8103-8871-5.
- Wayne, Jane Ellen (2006). The Leading Men of MGM. Carroll & Graf Publishers. pp. 187–188. ISBN 0-7867-1768-8.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to The Detectives (1959 TV series).|
- The Detectives at the Internet Movie Database
- The Detectives Starring Robert Taylor at TV.com
- The Detectives opening sequence (with syndicated name/logo "Captain Of Detectives"- YouTube video
- Amazon Customer Discussions- The Detectives-Starring Robert Taylor
- Robert Taylor Actor