The Gene Generation
||This article's tone or style may not reflect the encyclopedic tone used on Wikipedia. (August 2010)|
|The Gene Generation|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Pearry Teo|
|Produced by||Keith Collea|
|Written by||Keith Collea
Michael Shamus Wiles
Robert David Hall
|Music by||Scott Glasgow
|Cinematography||Anthony G. Nakonechnyj|
|Editing by||Carmelo Casalenuovo|
|Running time||96 minutes|
The Gene Generation is a 2007 Biopunk science fiction film about an assassin who battles DNA hackers. The film was directed by Pearry Teo, and stars Bai Ling, Parry Shen, Faye Dunaway, and Alec Newman.
In a futuristic world, Michelle lives everyday battling with DNA Hackers who use their skills to hack into people's bodies and kill them. She is an assassin, battling her past demons and trying to keep her younger and extroverted brother, Jackie, out of trouble. When Jackie gets involved in a petty crime of robbery, he propels himself into the world of DNA Hackers, Shylocks (Loan Sharks) and Gang Fights. Wanting the respect that the world has never given to him only makes it harder for Jackie to peel himself away from the underground trades, against the hopes of his sister, Michelle. Michelle always wanted to leave the city and lead a calm and quiet lifestyle. As emotions and gunfire get into the way, Michelle and Jackie soon find themselves battling between their lives and finding out that in an immoral world, love can still survive; and that blood is thicker than water.
- Bai Ling – Michelle
- Parry Shen – Jackie
- Alec Newman – Christian
- Michael Shamus Wiles – Solemn
- Faye Dunaway – Josephine Hayden
- Robert David Hall – Abraham
- Rebecca Parisi – Julianne
- Milen Jeliazkov – lead CGI artist
- Dobri Georgiev – lead CGI artist
- Shero Rauf – 3D lead artist
Soundtrack and score
The soundtrack for the film features various tracks by Combichrist, Encephalon and Tribal Machine, while the score was composed by Scott Glasgow with additional music by Ronan Harris of VNV Nation. The score was released on CD by the Varèse Sarabande label in March 2009.
The following tracks are listed at the end of the film:
|Song Title||Writer||Performer||Published by||Courtesy of|
|Get Your Body Beat||Combichrist||Andy LaPlegua||Out of Line Music|
|Sand of History||Sever Bronny||Tribal Machine||Lamina Dereves Productions|
|This Shit Will Fuck You Up||Combichrist||Andy LaPlegua||Out of Line Music|
|Demeter||Ronan Harris||Ronan Harris||AMV Talpa|
|What The F**k is Wrong With You||Combichrist||Andy LaPlegua||Out of Line Music|
|Electro Head||Combichrist||Andy LaPlegua||Out of Line Music|
|Rise||Matt Gifford, Sam Mainier||Enchepalon||Urban Morphology (BMI)||Hive Records|
|Hate||Keith Arem||Contagion||Virtual Audio Publishing||PCB Productions|
On February 4, 2010, it was revealed that a sequel, The Gene Generation: War of the Bloodlines, was in development. Filming was due to begin in March 2010 and be completed by September 2010. However, since this announcement there have been no further details on the status of the production.
- "The Gene Generation: Faye Dunaway, Michael Shamus Wiles, Bai Ling, Daniel Zacapa, Alec Newman, Parry Shen, Anthony G. Nakonechnyi, Scott Glasgow, Pearry Reginald Teo, Carmelo Casalenuovo: Movies & TV". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2009-02-13.
- "The Gene Generation [DVD] : Amazon.co.uk: Bai Ling, Pearry Reginald Teo: DVD". Amazon.co.uk. 2009-02-28. Retrieved 2009-03-16.
- "The Gene Generation Soundtrack Tracklisting". SoundtrackINFO. 2009-03-31. Retrieved 2009-04-28.
- "Exclusive: Sequel goodness in GENE GENERATION: WAR OF THE BLOODLINES [UPDATED!]". Quietearth.us. Retrieved 2010-06-21.