The Lesser Blessed
|The Lesser Blessed|
|Directed by||Anita Doron|
|Produced by||Christina Piovesan|
|Written by||Anita Doron (screenplay)
Richard Van Camp (novel)
|Music by||Paul Intson|
|Edited by||Geoff Ashenhurst|
|Distributed by||Monterey Media (USA)
E1 Films (Canada)
|Running time||86 minutes|
Written and directed by Anita Doron based on the novel of the same name by Richard Van Camp, the film stars Joel Evans as Larry Sole, a young Tłı̨chǫ teenager living in the Northwest Territories. The film's cast also includes Chloe Rose, Kiowa Gordon, Benjamin Bratt, Dylan Cook and Tamara Podemski. Despite being set in the Northwest Territories, the film was shot in Sudbury, Ontario.
The film received a gala screening at the imagineNATIVE Film + Media Arts Festival in 2012. Doron garnered a Canadian Screen Award nomination for Best Adapted Screenplay at the 1st Canadian Screen Awards.
A teenager living in a small, remote community in Canada deals with life as a high school student. Larry's (Joel Nathan Evans) life is full of too many parties, too much drinking, and not enough responsibility or independence. The film explores several typical teen issues, such as alienation and the search for one's own identity, but in this case from the perspective of a Tlicho Indian who struggles between his Native ancestry and finding his place in to the modern world.
- Benjamin Bratt as Jed
- Krista Bridges as Auntie
- Joel Evans as Larry Sole
- Kiowa Gordon as Johnny Beck
- Adam Butcher as Darcy McManus
- Chloe Rose as Juliet Hope
- Tamara Podemski as Verna Sole
- Spencer Van Wyck as Kevin Garner
- Dylan Cook as Mustache Sammy
- Jacob Neayem as Clarence Jerome
In February 2013, Monterey Media brought the United States distribution rights from Entertainment One. The film will be released in Toronto on May 31, 2013 and in Montreal, Winnipeg, Edmonton and Ottawa on June 7, 2013. The film was released in the United States on home entertainment (DVD and Video on Demand) on June 25, 2013. Kiowa Gordon won best supporting actor at American Indian Film Festival for his role in the film.
The Lesser Blessed has screened at the following festivals:
- American Indian Film Festival - Winner - Kiowa Gordon Best Supporting Actor 
- Red Nation Film Festival
- Middle of the Map Fest
- Sapatq’ayn Cinema Native American Film Festival
- Native Cinema Showcase - National Museum of American Indian 
- "The Lesser Blessed tells universal story of alienation". CBC News, October 22, 2012.
- "'Rebelle' and 'Flashpoint' lead nominees for Canadian Screen Awards". CTV News, January 15, 2012.
- "The Lesser Blessed - Contemporary World Cinema". Toronto International Film Festival, February 6, 2013.
- Cupryn, Isabel. "Interview: Director Anita Doron talks 'The Lesser Blessed". Criticize This!, May 27, 2013.
- "EXCLUSIVE: Monterey Media Acquires U.S. Rights to 'The Lesser Blessed' Starring Benjamin Bratt". Indie Wire. 6 February 2013. Archived from the original on 6 February 2013. Retrieved 6 February 2013.
- "Filming "The Lesser Blessed": Freezing and Burning in the Northwest Territories". Huffington Post Canada. 28 May 2013.
- "The Lesser Blessed". Critics Choice Video. 25 June 2013.
- "American Indian Motion Picture Awards Show". aifisf.com. Retrieved 12 November 2013.
- "AIFISF Schedule". aifisf.com. http://aifisf.com. Retrieved 13 November 2013.
- "A drama centered on a First Nations teenager trying to find his place in the modern world.". http://rednationfilmfestival.com/. rednationfilmfestival.com/. Retrieved 13 November 2013.
- "FILMS - LESSER BLESSED". middleofthemapfest.com. middleofthemapfest.com. Retrieved 13 November 2013.
- "‘The Lesser Blessed’ at the Sapatq’ayn Cinema Native American Film Festival". congenialityguy.com. congenialityguy.com. Retrieved 13 November 2013.
- "2013 Native Cinema Showcase Schedule - At the New Mexico History Museum". http://swaia.org/. http://swaia.org/. Retrieved 13 November 2013.