|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2010)|
The Nylons are an a cappella group founded in 1978 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, best known for their covers of pop songs such as The Turtles' "Happy Together", Steam's "Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye", and The Tokens' version of the traditional "The Lion Sleeps Tonight".
The Nylons' original lineup consisted of Claude Morrison (tenor), Paul Cooper (baritone), Marc Connors (tenor), and Denis Simpson (bass). In April 1979 Simpson left the group to perform in a musical and was replaced by Ralph Cole (bass). Cole left the band in late 1979 and was replaced by Arnold Robinson (bass).
In 1986, the group appeared on the critically acclaimed children's television show Sharon, Lois & Bram's Elephant Show featuring children's entertainers, Sharon, Lois & Bram. The Nylons appeared in Season 3 of the show on the Treasure Island episode singing "The Lion Sleeps Tonight". These songs appeared on the band's albums, 1987's Happy Together and 1989's Rockapella. During this era, the band also gained exposure from the mid-1980s syndicated sitcom Throb by singing (with the show's lead actress Diana Canova) the theme to the show.
Cooper retired from the band in 1990 and was replaced by Micah Barnes (baritone). Connors died in 1991 from AIDS related complications, and was replaced by Billy Newton-Davis (tenor). In 1994 both Newton-Davis and Barnes left the group to pursue their solo careers, and were replaced by Garth Mosbaugh (tenor) and Gavin Hope (baritone) respectively. In 1997 Hope left the group to pursue a solo career and was replaced by Mark Cassius (baritone). In 2005 Cassius left the group; Tyrone Gabriel replaced him. After Robinson's retirement in early 2006, Gavin Hope returned as baritone; Tyrone Gabriel moved to the bass position to replace Robinson.
- Marc Connors (tenor 1978-1991) (died March 1991)*
- Paul Cooper (baritone 1978-1990) (died December 29, 2013)*
- Claude Morrison (tenor 1978–present)*
- Denis Simpson (bass 1978-1979) (died October 22, 2010)*
- Ralph Cole (bass 1979-1981)
- Arnold Robinson (bass 1981-2006) (died March 16, 2013)
- Micah Barnes (baritone 1990-1994)
- Billy Newton-Davis (tenor 1991-1994)
- Garth Mosbaugh (tenor 1994–present)
- Gavin Hope (baritone 1994-1997, 2006–present)
- Mark Cassius (baritone 1997-2005)
- Tyrone Gabriel (baritone 2005, bass 2006–present)
* Denotes the four founding members.
Albums from 1982-1989 were released on Attic Records in Canada and Windham Hill in the United States, albums from 1989-1996 were released on BMG's Scotti Brothers imprint, and albums after 1997 were released on Shoreline Records.
- The Nylons (1982)
- One Size Fits All (1982)
- Seamless (1984)
- Happy Together (1987)
- Rockapella (1989)
- Four on the Floor (1991, live)
- Live to Love (1992)
- The Best of the Nylons (1993)
- Illustrious (1993)
- Another Fine Mesh (1994)
- Harmony: The Christmas Songs (1994)
- Because (1994)
- Run for Cover (1996)
- Fabric of Life (1997)
- Hits of the 60's: A Cappella Style (1997)
- Perfect Fit (1997)
- A Wish for You (1999)
- Lost and Found (1999)
- Fabric of Life: Vocal Percussion Remix (2000)
- Play On (2002)
- Sterling (2006)
- Skintight (2011)