The World's second oldest profession
||An automated process has detected links on this page on the local or global blacklist.|
|This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. (February 2009)|
The English idiom the World's second oldest profession is used to refer to a number of professions, playing on the common comment that prostitution is the world's oldest profession. One frequent use of the phrase is to refer to spies and spying. An explanation of this phrase is that it must be the second oldest profession because it is mentioned in the Book of Joshua.
- "Joshua son of Nun sent two spies out from Shittim secretly with orders to reconnoitre the country. The two men came to Jericho and went to the house of a prostitute named Rahab..."
Ronald Reagan nominated politician as the second-oldest profession with the alleged quip, "It's been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first."citation needed
- Paul Reynolds (2004-02-26). "The world's second oldest profession". BBC News. Retrieved 2008-09-22.
- Phillip Knightley (1986). The Second Oldest Profession. Spies and Spying in the Twentieth Century. W. W. Norton & Company. ISBN 0-393-02386-9.
- Eoin Gleeson (2008-09-12). "Boom times for world's second-oldest profession". Moneyweek. Retrieved 2008-09-22.
- Eric Banks (2004-08-13). "RITUALS; World's Second-Oldest Profession". New York Times. Retrieved 2008-09-22.
- Burt Prelutsky (2008-02-01). "The World's Second-Oldest Profession". townhall. Retrieved 2008-09-22.
- Kathleen M. Leonard. "Brief History of Environmental Engineering: "The World’s Second Oldest Profession"". American Society of Civil Engineers. Retrieved 2008-09-22.
- "The World's Oldest Profession". Mister Poll. Retrieved 2008-09-22.
- Stan Lepeak. "The World's Second Oldest Profession". Retrieved 2008-09-22.
- Katherine Griffiths (2002-09-17). "Hard times for some prompt comeback for once disreputable pawnbrokers". The Independent. Retrieved 2008-09-22.
- Yeoh Siew Hoon (2006-05-24). "What's a prom queen doing in the world's second oldest profession?". Retrieved 2008-09-22.
- "More on the World's Second Oldest Profession". 2007-01-31. Retrieved 2008-09-22.
- Greg McNeilly (2008-07-03). "The World's 2nd Oldest Profession". AOL. Retrieved 2008-09-22.
- John Burnett. "Cooling U.S. Market Sends Tomb Raiders Abroad". National Public Radio. Retrieved 2008-09-22.