The Yellow Sea (film)
|The Yellow Sea|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Na Hong-jin|
|Screenplay by||Na Hong-jin|
|Music by||Youngkyu Jang
Fox International Productions
|Distributed by||Bounty Films/Eureka UK
|Running time||140 minutes|
|Country||Republic of Korea|
In northeastern Chinese city of Yanji in Yanbian Prefecture, Gu-nam (Ha Jung-woo), an ethnic Korean, or Joseonjok, toils away as a taxi driver. When not working, he is often found at gambling halls. Gu-Nam is now in serious debt. His wife left to work in South Korea and promised to send money back. He has yet to hear from her and is tormented by nightmares of her having an extra-marital affair. To make matters worse, Gu-Nam is fired from his job and debt collectors take most of his severance pay.
Local gangster, Myun Jung-hak (Kim Yoon-seok), offers him a deal: if Gu-Nam goes to South Korea to kill a businessman, he will get 57,000 Yuan ($10,000 USD). Gu-Nam accepts and leaves for South Korea by train and a rickety fishing boat, with $500 for expenses.
When Gu-Nam arrives in South Korea, he carefully scopes out his target for days, while also searching for his wife. When the time arrives for Gu-Nam to take out his target, a string of unexpected events occurs, leaving him desperately looking for a way out. Meanwhile, the police, the South Korean mob, as well as the ethnic Korean Chinese mafia all frantically search for Gu-Nam.
- Ha Jung-woo as Gu-nam
- Kim Yoon-seok as Myun Jung-hak
- Jo Sung-ha as Tae-won
- Lee Chul-min as Choi Sung-nam
- Kwak Do-won as Prof. Kim Seung-hyun
- Lim Ye-won as Prof. Kim's wife
- Tak Sung-eun as Gu-nam's wife
- Kim Ki-hwan as Prof. Kim's driver
- Ki Se-hyung as Tae-won's subordinate
- Lee El as Joo-young, Tae-won's mistress
- Oh Yoon-hong as Tae-won's wife
- Jung Man-sik as Detective
- Jung Min-sung as Detective
- Kim Dong-hyun as Detective
- Park Byeong-eun as bank employee
- Jang So-yeon as employee at Do-man Hotel
- Yang Ki-won as detective
- Sung Byoung-sook as Gu-nam's mother
- Kong Jung-hwan as Jeon Pil-kyoo
- Baek Won-gil as Korean-Chinese kidnapper 1
- Kang Hyun-joong as Busan port sailor
- Yoo Ha-bok as Yanbian taxi boss
- Lee Hee-joon as policeman
- Lee Joon-hyuk as dog seller 2
- Kim Jae-hwa (uncredited) as Myun Jung-hak's girlfriend
The Australian and UK films rights were sold to Bounty Films. The UK release of the film was on 21 October 2011, the Australian release date has not yet been published.
The film opened on December 22, 2010 in South Korea and was top of the box office, selling 1.05 million tickets, according to the Korean Film Council. The film sold 2,142,742 tickets nationwide.
- "The Yellow Sea << British Board of Film Classification". British Board of Film Classification. 2011-08-22. Retrieved 2011-08-22.
- "Box office by Country: The Yellow Sea Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 2012-06-04
- "Festival de Cannes: Official Selection". Cannes. Retrieved 2011-04-14.
- http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/yellow-sea-tops-korean-holiday-65863. Retrieved 24 January 2010
- "Korean Movie Reviews for 2010" koreanfilm.org. Retrieved 2012-06-04