Thelonious Monk and Sonny Rollins
|Thelonious Monk and Sonny Rollins|
|Studio album by Thelonious Monk|
|Recorded||November 13, 1953
September 22, 1954
October 25, 1954
|Thelonious Monk chronology|
Thelonious Monk and Sonny Rollins is an album by jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk and saxophonist Sonny Rollins released in 1954 on the Prestige label, catalogue 7075. The album is culled from the results of three sessions over a span of close to twelve months featuring different personnel. Although Rollins is credited as a co-leader on the album cover, he appears on only three of the album's five tracks. It was the final Monk release on the label before he moved to a contract with Riverside Records.
The track "Friday the 13th" was recorded in November 1953 with a quintet of Monk, Rollins, Julius Watkins, Percy Heath, and Willie Jones; the September 1954 recordings are of a trio with Monk, Heath, and Art Blakey; and the October 1954 session Monk and Rollins again with bassist Tommy Potter and drummer Art Taylor. Of the three Monk originals, "Friday the 13th" was written in the studio during the recording session, released as a ten-minute jam to fill out the album's running time. Monk would return to "Nutty" again and again through his career, but this was his only recording of the composition "Work."
Three of the recordings on this LP appeared in 1954 on 10" Mini-LPs": Thelonious Monk Quintet Blows For LP (Prestige PRLP 166),Thelonious Monk Plays (Prestige PRLP 189) and Sonny Rollins and Thelonious Monk Quartet (Prestige PRLP 190).
All compositions by Thelonious Monk except as indicated.
- "The Way You Look Tonight" (Dorothy Fields, Jerome Kern) — 5:13
- "I Want to Be Happy" (Irving Caesar, Vincent Youmans) — 7:43
- "Work" — 5:18
- "Nutty" — 5:16
- "Friday the 13th" — 10:32
- Thelonious Monk — piano
- Sonny Rollins — tenor saxophone on "The Way You Look Tonight," "I Want to Be Happy," and "Friday the 13th"
- Julius Watkins — french horn on "Friday the 13th"
- Percy Heath — bass on "Work," "Nutty," and "Friday the 13th"
- Tommy Potter — bass on "The Way You Look Tonight" and "I Want to Be Happy
- Art Taylor — drums on "The Way You Look Tonight" and "I Want to Be Happy"
- Art Blakey — drums on "Work" and "Nutty"
- Willie Jones — drums on "Friday the 13th"
- Allmusic Review
- Christgau, Robert (December 21, 2012). "Thelonious Monk". MSN Music. Microsoft. Retrieved December 21, 2012.
- Thelonious Monk discography accessed 23 April 2012
- Robin D.G. Kelley. Thelonious Monk: The Life and Times of an American Original. New York: Free Press, 2009, ISBN 978-1-4391-9046-3, p. 165.
- Kelley, Life and Times, pp. 569-571.