Moon bridge at Bellingrath Gardens
Location in Mobile County and the state of Alabama
|• Total||8.0 sq mi (20.7 km2)|
|• Land||8.0 sq mi (20.7 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||62 ft (19 m)|
|• Density||770/sq mi (300/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|ZIP code||36582, 36590, 36619|
|GNIS feature ID||0127851|
Theodore is a census-designated place (CDP) in Mobile County, Alabama, United States. The population was 6,130 at the 2010 census. It is a part of the Mobile metropolitan statistical area. Prior to 1900 this area was known as Clements, but is now named for William Theodore Hieronymous (a sawmill operator and postmaster).
Theodore is located at .
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 8.0 square miles (21 km2), all of it land. Theodore is also filled with forestry as well as fields.
As of the census of 2000, there were 6,811 people, 2,483 households, and 1,926 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 571.6 people per square mile (220.6/km²). There were 2,697 housing units at an average density of 226.3 per square mile (87.4/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 71.11% White, 25.58% Black or African American, 0.62% Native American, 1.29% Asian, 0.41% from other races, and 1.00% from two or more races. 1.38% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 2,483 households out of which 38.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 53.6% were married couples living together, 19.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 22.4% were non-families. 19.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.73 and the average family size was 3.11.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 28.5% under the age of 18, 9.8% from 18 to 24, 29.2% from 25 to 44, 22.0% from 45 to 64, and 10.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 34 years. For every 100 females there were 92.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 89.6 males.
The median income for a household in the CDPwas $33,750, and the median income for a family was $36,500. Males had a median income of $32,297 versus $19,679 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $15,129. About 16.3% of families and 18.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 25.6% of those under age 18 and 23.5% of those age 65 or over.
Points of interest
- Bernie Carbo, former Major League Baseball player
- Kentrail Davis, minor league baseball player
- Rodger McFarlane, first executive director of Gay Men's Health Crisis.
- C. J. Mosley, College football linebacker for Alabama
- Etric Pruitt, professional football player
- Andre Royal, former NFL linebacker
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- Flotte’s Notes on Mobile County, Alabama
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "CENSUS OF POPULATION AND HOUSING (1790-2000)". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 2010-07-17.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Hevesi, Dennis. "Rodger McFarlane, Who Led AIDS-Related Groups, Dies at 54", The New York Times, May 18, 2009. Accessed May 19, 2009.