|Member of the Suffolk County Legislature from the 11th District|
|Preceded by||Angie Carpenter|
|Member of the New York State Assembly|
January 1983 – December 2005
|Succeeded by||Philip M. Boyle|
|Born||Thomas F. Barraga
April 23, 1943 
Brooklyn, New York
|Residence||West Islip, New York|
|Alma mater||St. John's University
Long Island University
Columbia Pacific University
Thomas F. "Tom" Barraga (born April 23, 1943) is a member of the Suffolk County Legislature in New York, representing the 11th Legislative District, which includes West Islip, Bay Shore, Fire Island, and parts of Brentwood. He previously was a member of the New York State Assembly for 23 years.
Barraga was raised on Long Island, attending St. Joseph's Elementary School in Babylon and graduating from St. Anthony's High School in Smithtown. He received a B.B.A. degree in marketing St. John's University in 1964. Barraga served six years in the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve, receiving an honorable discharge in 1966. He went on to earn an M.B.A. from Long Island University in 1972 and a Ph.D as a Doctorate of Philosophy, Business and Public Administration from Columbia Pacific University in 1981.
Initially working in the private sector, Barraga held positions with the American Can Company, Dun and Bradstreet, and Pfizer. He first entered politics in 1977, serving as Town Clerk for the Town of Islip. He was elected to the State Assembly in November 1982. In 2005, while still an Assemblyman, he ran for office in 11th Legislative District of Suffolk County. On November 8, 2005, he was elected to the Suffolk County Legislature.
Barraga resides in West Islip. He and his wife Joanne (nee Kurtz) have two daughters. He is a member of Our Lady of Lourdes Roman Catholic Church in West Islip, the Sons of Italy, and the American Legion. He was formerly vice-chairman of the board of trustees at Suffolk Community College.
New York State election results
- "Thomas F. Barraga: Biography". Suffolk County Legislature. Retrieved April 13, 2011.
- Kerwin, Jeff (September 29, 2005). "Assemblyman Thomas Barraga running for Suffolk County Legislature; squares off against George Hafele in 11th District". Babylon Beacon. Retrieved April 13, 2011.
- "General Election Results, State Assembly: November 3, 1998" (PDF). New York State Board of Elections. December 15, 1998. Retrieved April 13, 2011.
- "General Election Results, State Assembly: November 7, 2000" (PDF). New York State Board of Elections. December 11, 2000. Retrieved April 13, 2011.
- "General Election Results, State Assembly: November 5, 2002" (PDF). New York State Board of Elections. December 13, 2002. Retrieved April 13, 2011.
- "General Election Results, State Assembly: November 2, 2004" (PDF). New York State Board of Elections. December 6, 2004. Retrieved April 13, 2011.
|New York Assembly|
John Flanagan, Sr.
|New York State Assembly, 7th District
Michael J. Fitzpatrick
Philip M. Boyle
|New York State Assembly, 8th District
Philip M. Boyle
|Suffolk County Legislature, 11th District