Celestial Tiger Entertainment
|Key people||Todd Miller, President and Chief Executive Officer|
|Products||Television channels, Films, Television programs|
|Brands||Celestial Movies, Celestial Classic Movies, cHK, KIX, Thrill|
|Owners||Joint venture between Saban Capital Group, Lionsgate, and Celestial Pictures Limited|
Celestial Tiger Entertainment (CTE) is a diversified media company based in Hong Kong that operates pay television entertainment channels in Asia and overseas Lions Gate Entertainment distribution rights in Greater China and Southeast Asia.
Celestial Tiger was founded in 2008 as Tiger Gate Entertainment, as a joint venture between private media investment firm Saban Capital Group and independent company Lions Gate Entertainment. Pay television channels KIX and Thrill were later launched in August 2009.
Celestial Pictures Limited joined Tiger Gate Entertainment in late 2011 adding the already established Celestial Classic Movies and Celestial Movies to the company's channel lineup. Following this partnership, the company was renamed Celestial Tiger Entertainment and High Definition was added to existing channels for territories in Asia.
CTE owns the Shaw Brothers film library and leverages a library of film and TV from Lionsgate. In February 2012, YOU On Demand Holdings and Lionsgate announced deal to show a number of Lionsgate films on a Transactional Video On Demand (TVOD) and Subscription Video On Demand (SVOD) basis in China. In 2013, CTE sold over 1700 hours of Lionsgate TV series and movies including Anger Management, The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 2, and the Hunger Games franchise to broadcasters and media platforms in southeast Asia and China as part of a regional distribution deal, CTE also expanded its Southeast Asian distribution deal with Lionsgate to cover Japan and Korea and sold a further 700 hours of TV series and feature films in an SVOD deal with MediaCorp’s Toggle digital platform in Singapore.
Celestial Tiger Entertainment operates the following channels:
- Celestial Movies - A channel featuring current Asian films and entertainment news
- Available in Malaysia, Brunei, Hong Kong, Indonesia and Singapore
- Celestial Movies HD - A channel featuring current Asian films and entertainment news in HD.
- Available in Malaysia, Brunei and coming soon to Hong Kong, Singapore and Indonesia.
- Celestial Classic Movies - Featuring classic Hong Kong Chinese films
- Available in Australia, Cambodia, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and coming soon to Malaysia and Brunei.
- cHK - Local Hong Kong entertainment and showbiz news channel
- Available in Singapore and coming soon to Malaysia and Brunei.
- KIX - Action, MMA, TV series, reality television and extreme sports
- Available in Hong Kong, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, and Singapore
- Thrill - Horror, thriller and suspense
- Available in Hong Kong, Indonesia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and coming soon to Malaysia and Brunei.
- About Celestial Tiger Entertainment, Retrieved on July 12, 2013
- Tiger Gate KIX Into Gear to Thrill Audiences, Launching Two Pan-Asian Action and Horror Channels and Announcing Financial Partners newswire.ca, Retrieved on July 18, 2012
- "The Wrap" Saban Invests $30M in Asian Pay-TV Business With Lionsgate thewrap.com, Retrieved on July 17, 2012
- "Asia Media Journal" Celestial And Tiger Gate Join Forces asiamediajournal.com, Retrieved on July 17, 2012
- A new HD channel for the new Celestial Tiger Entertainment, Retrieved on July 15, 2013
- Singapore to Get Hong Kong Entertainment Channel retrieved on April 23, 2014
- SingTel mio TV cHK Channel Launch - Meet & Greet retrieved on April 23, 2014
- Lionsgate strikes Asian partnership with Saban Capital and Celestial Pictures, Retrieved on July 12, 2013
- LIONSGATE AND SABAN CAPITAL GROUP FORM JOINT VENTURE TO OPERATE TIGER GATE, Retrieved on July 12, 2013
- YOU On Demand announces licensing deal With Lionsgate and Celestial Tiger Entertainment for Video On Demand in China, Retrieved on July 23, 2013
- Celestial Tiger Sells Over 1700 hours of Lionsgate Product in Asia, Retrieved on July 12, 2013
- Lionsgate Extends Celestial Tiger Entertainment Distribution Deal to Korea and Japan, Retrieved on July 15, 2013
- Lionsgate, Celestial Tiger License Over 700 Hours of TV and Movies to MediaCorp's Toggle, Retrieved on April 23, 2014
- Dope show Weeds to air in Singapore Retrieved on April 24, 2014