||This article describes a work or element of fiction in a primarily in-universe style. (April 2012)|
|Genre||Children's animated series|
|Created by||Neville Astley
|Written by||Neville Astley
|Directed by||Neville Astley
Phillip Hall (2011)
Joris van Hulzen (2011)
|Starring||Harley Bird (2009-2011)
Cecily Bloom (2006)
Lily Snowden-Fine (2004)
Hazel Rudd (2004)
Bethan Lindsay (2006)
Sarah Ann Kennedy
|Theme music composer||Julian Nott|
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|No. of series||4|
|No. of episodes||209 (List of episodes)|
|Location(s)||Animated in London|
|Running time||208 × 5 minutes
1 × 10 minutes
|Production company(s)||Astley Baker Davies Ltd
|Distributor||Contender Entertainment Group (2004)
E1 Entertainment (2007-2009)
Rubber Duck Entertainment (2006)
E1 Kids (2009-2011)
eOne Family (2011-)
|Original channel||Channel 5 (UK),
Nick Jr. (UK, US)
|Picture format||16:9 High definition|
|Original run||31 May 2004– present|
Peppa Pig is a British animated television series created, directed and produced by Astley Baker Davies and distributed by E1 Kids. To date, four series have been aired. It is shown in 180 territories.
Peppa Pig is a children's television programme broadcasting on Channel 5/Nick Jr. in the UK and Nickelodeon/Nick Jr. in USA. Each episode is approximately 5 minutes long. The show revolves around Peppa, an anthropomorphic female pig, and her family and friends. Each of her friends is a different species of mammal. Peppa's friends are the same age as her, and Peppa's younger brother George's friend Richard is the same age as him. Episodes tend to feature everyday activities such as attending playgroup, going swimming, visiting their grandparents, going to the playground or riding bikes.
The characters wear clothes, live in houses, and drive cars, but still display some characteristics of the animals on which they are based. Peppa and her family snort like pigs during conversations, the other animals make their respective noises when they talk, with some exhibiting other characteristics, such as the Rabbit family's enjoyment of carrots. The Rabbits are also the sole exception to the rule of human-like habitation, in that they live in a burrow in a hill, although it does have windows and is furnished in the same way as the other houses. Although most animals are anthropomorphic, some are not, for example, the ducks, Tiddles the tortoise, and Polly Parrot.
The first series of 52 five-minute episodes started on Channel 5 on 31 May 2004, and had its American premiere as part of Cartoon Network's Tickle-U preschool television programming block on 22 August 2005, and Noggin in December 2007 and January 2008, re-dubbed with American voices. In the United Kingdom, it can also be seen on Nick Jr., the same with Portugal, Italy, Benelux, Scandinavia and Australia. In Taiwan, the show can be seen on Playhouse Disney. The second series of 52 episodes began on Channel 5 on Monday 4 September 2006, with Cecily Bloom replacing Lily Snowden-Fine as Peppa, amongst other cast changes. The third series started broadcasting on the Channel 5 kids block, Milkshake! on 4 May 2009 with Harley Bird replacing Cecily Bloom and Lily Snowden-Fine as Peppa. Today in the U.S., Peppa Pig currently airs on Nick Jr.
The Pigs 
- Peppa Pig - A pig who is the main character. She enjoys jumping in puddles and playing fairy and dress up. She is 5 years old
- George Pig - He is Peppa's little brother aged two years. He is most often seen in possession of his toy dinosaur.
- Mummy Pig - Mummy Pig is Peppa and George's mother. She has fun with them by playing monopoly.
- Daddy Pig - Daddy Pig is Peppa and George's father. He is quite lazy and unfortunately he is also quite fat. He appears to be an architect and in an episode he is building a house for Wendy Wolf.
- Grandpa Pig (Mummy Pig's dad). He is loved by Peppa and George. He has a passion for gardening.
- Granny Pig (Mummy Pig's mum). She is also loved by George and Peppa and is a fan of perfume.
- Uncle Pig - Uncle Pig is Daddy Pig's older brother and is Auntie Pig's husband.
- Auntie Pig - Auntie Pig is Uncle Pig's wife and Chloe and Baby Alexander's mother.
- Chloé Pig - Chloé Pig is Peppa and George's cousin. Her friends are Belinda Bear and Simon Squirrel.
- Baby Alexander Pig - Baby Alexander Pig is Chloé's baby brother - first word ' Puddle.
The Rabbits 
- Rebecca Rabbit- She is Peppa's friend from playgroup. She is the big sister of Richard and her twin baby sister and brother, Rosie and Robby. Her mum is Mummy Rabbit, her dad is Daddy Rabbit, her auntie is Miss Rabbit, who is Mummy Rabbit's sister and her grandpa is Grampy Rabbit.
- Richard Rabbit- Rebecca's young brother and the twins' older brother.
- Miss Rabbit- Miss Rabbit appears to have hundreds of jobs at the same time, including bus driver, supermarket assistant, librarian, helicopter pilot, fireman, ice cream seller, car crusher and ticket seller.
- Mummy Rabbit- Rebecca's, Richard's, Rosie's and Robbie's mum. She is also Miss Rabbit's sister. She does some of Miss Rabbit's jobs in "Miss Rabbit's Day Off" when she sprained her ankle.
- Daddy Rabbit- Rebecca's, Richard's,and the twins' dad. He works with Daddy Pig and Mrs.Cat in a top floor office. He appears to be a station master and ice cream seller in some episodes.
- Grampy Rabbit- Rebecca's, Richard's, and the twins' grandpa. He is seen in some episodes like "Grampy Rabbit's Dinosaur Park", "Grampy Rabbit's Boatyard", "The Little Boat", and some other episodes. He's good friends with Grandad Dog, Grandpa Pig, and Captain Dog.
- Rosie and Robby Rabbit- Rebecca's and Richard's baby sister and brother. They are only seen in "Mummy Rabbit's Bump" and "Mirrors".
The Sheep 
- Suzy Sheep - Suzy is a Sheep who is one of Peppa's friends, she is Peppa's very best friend and she wears a pink dress, Suzy is voiced by Meg Hall.
- Mummy Sheep - Mummy sheep is the mother of Suzy, she wears a dark pink dress.
- Daddy Sheep - Suzy's dad.
The Cats 
- Candy Cat - Peppa's friend from playgroup.
- Mrs Cat - Candy Cat's mother. She works with Daddy Pig and Mr Rabbit in the top floor office.
- Mr Cat - Candy Cat's father. He speaks more often in seasons 3 and 4.
The Dogs 
- Danny Dog - Peppa's friend from playgroup.
- Mummy Dog - Danny Dog's mother.
- Grandad Dog - Danny Dog's grandad. He works at a petrol garage and is very good at fixing cars.
- Daddy Dog- He is Danny's dad and the husband of Mummy Dog. He is a sailor. He first appeared in Captain Daddy Dog. He also appeared in Desert Island and also Going Boating.
The Ponies 
- Pedro Pony- Peppa's friend from playgroup.
- Mummy Pony- Pedro's mum and Daddy Pony's wife.
- Daddy Pony- Pedro's dad and Mummy Pony's husband. He works as an optician.
The Zebras 
- Zoe Zebra
- Mummy Zebra- Mummy Zebra does pottery and has a studio in the basement. She teaches Peppa, George, Zoe Zebra, Zuzu and Zaza to make pottery to make a tea set.
- Daddy Zebra- Daddy Zebra works as a postman delivering the mail for the town.
- Zuzu & Zaza- Zuzu and Zaza are twins and are the younger siblings of Zoe Zebra.
The Elephants 
- Emily Elephant- Peppa's friend from playgroup. She made her first appearance in the episode "Emily Elephant". Her brother is Edmond Elephant, her dad is Doctor Elephant, her mum is Mummy Elephant.
- Edmond Elephant- Edmond is George's friend. His sister is Emily, his dad is Doctor Elephant and his mum is Mummy Elephant. Edmond is a clever clogs.
- Doctor Elephant- He is Emily's and Edmond's dad and the husband of Mummy Elephant.
- Mummy Elephant- She is Emily's and Edmond's mum and she is the wife of Doctor Elephant.
Cast and global versions 
|UK||"Peppa Pig"||Given above||Milkshake!
Nick Jr. UK
|US||"Peppa Pig"||Nick Jr.|
|Chinese||"Miss Pink Pig"|
|Croatian||"Prašcic Pepa"||Nova TV|
|Finnish||"Pipsa Possu"||Ursula Salo, Petri Summanen, Riitta Havukainen and Puntti Valtonen|
|French||"Peppa Pig"||Aaricia Dubois, Michel Hinderyckx, Stéphane Escoffier, Félix Deepen and Pascal Racan||France 5
|Gaelic||"Peppa"||Eilidh Jenkins (Peppa), Iain MacRath (narrator), Ailig Dòmhnallach (Dadaidh Muc), Patsi NicChoinnich (Mamaidh Muc), Carina NicLeòid (Deòrsa)||BBC Alba|
|German||"Peppa Wutz"||Carolin von der Groeben (Peppa Wutz), Thomas Krause (narrator), Reinhard Schulat-Rademacher (Papa Wutz), Petra Glunz-Grosch (Mama Wutz), Ernst August Schepmann (Opa Wutz), Anke Tegtmeyer (Oma Wutz)||KI.KA and Die Maus|
|Italian||"Peppa Pig"||Tatiana Dessi (Peppa Pig), Gianni Bersanetti (narrator), Paolo Marchese (Papà Pig), Monica Gravina (Mamma Pig), Barbara Pitotti (George Pig)||Rai Yoyo Disney Junior (Italy)|
|Polish||"Swinka Peppa"||Magdalena Wasylik, Lucyna Malec, Robert Tondera and Krzysztof Mielanczuk||TVP1, MiniMini|
|Portuguese||"A Porquinha Peppa"||RTP1, RTP2, Canal Panda|
|Romanian||"Purcelusa Peppa"||Minimax TV|
|Serbian||"Pepa Prase"||Voices: Jelena Ðordevic, Ana Popovic, Darko Tomovic, Ana Markovic, Marko Mrdenovic, Zoran Cosic, Valentina Pavlicic, Jelena Stoijljkovic, Ivana Aleksandrovic Ivee; Synchornization and sound: Studio Loudworks||TV ULTRA|
|Slovenian||"Pujsa Pepa"||Gregor Gruden, Barbara Cerar, Jernej Šugman and Maja Sever|
|Welsh||"Peppa Pinc"||Translates into English as "Pink Peppa". All voices and narration by Caren Brown||S4C|
|Catalan||"Pepa, la porqueta"||Super3|
Episodes and DVD releases 
Peppa Pig World Theme Park 
Peppa Pig World opened on 9 April 2011 at Paultons Park, Hampshire, UK.
Peppa Pig, the Entertainment One (eOne) brand, grossed over £200 million in UK merchandise sales in 2010, far exceeding the 2009 figure of £100 million. Additionally, for the first time in the brand’s history, NPD figures for the year reveal that Peppa Pig was the number one pre-school property in the total toy market for 2010 - moving up four places from its previous position in 2009. Now in its seventh year, new licensees continue to join the Peppa Pig licensing programme, which currently has 63 licensees on board.
In addition to episode DVDs, a variety of licensed Peppa Pig products is available, including video games and other toys such as playsets, playing cards, vehicles, and stuffed toys. There is also a series of books based on the character, one of which, Peppa Meets the Queen was written to coincide with the Queen's Diamond Jubilee. The line has also been expanded to include household items such as bathroom products, bed-linens, food, drink, clothing, and jewellery. Licensees include Holland Publishing in the United Kingdom.
Peppa and her family did not wear seat belts in the first two series. After receiving several complaints, Astley Baker Davies announced that all future animation would include characters wearing seat belts, and that the relevant scenes in the first two series would be re-animated to include them. Similar changes were also made to early episodes with characters riding bicycles to add cycle helmets, which were not included in the original versions.
In April 2010, during the UK General Election campaign, E1 Entertainment confirmed Peppa would not be attending the launch of the UK Labour Party's families manifesto "in the interests of avoiding any controversy or misunderstanding". Peppa has been previously used to promote the Labour government's Sure Start programme.
- BAFTA Children’s Awards 2012, Winner for Best Pre-School Animation
- BAFTA Children’s Awards 2011, Winner for Best Pre-School Animation
- BAFTA Children’s Awards 2011 Winner for Best Performer (Harley Bird)
- BAFTA Children’s Awards 2010, Nomination for Best Pre-School Animation
- BAFTA Children’s Awards 2010, Nominated for Best Writing
- BAFTA Children’s Awards 2009 Nomination for Best Pre-School Animation
- BAFTA Children’s Awards 2009 Nomination for Best Writing
- BAFTA Children’s Awards 2008 Nomination for Best Pre-School Animation
- BAFTA Children’s Awards 2007 Nomination for Best Pre-School Animation
- Annecy Animation Festival 2005, Winner of the Grand Prize, The Crystal for Best TV Production
- Bradford Animation Festival 2005, Winner of Best Children’s Animation Series
- Cartoons on the Bay Festival 2005, Winner of Pulcinella Award for Best European Programme of the Year
- Cartoons on the Bay Festival 2005, Winner of Pulcinella Award for Best Pre-School Series
- Cartoons on the Bay Festival 2005, Children’s audience award for Best Pre-School series
- BAFTA Children’s Awards 2005 Winner for Best Pre-School Animation series
- BAFTA Children’s Awards 2004 Nomination for Best Pre-School Animation
- Peppa Pig on Milkshake!
- Peppa Pig on Nick Jr. Australia
- Peppa Pig on Nick Jr. UK
- Peppa Pig on Nick Jr. US
- Peppa Pig at the Internet Movie Database
- Official Peppa Pig World Theme Park
- Peppa Wiki