Tim Cresswell is a human geographer and Professor of History and International Affairs at Northeastern University, Boston. He is the author of five books on the role of place and mobility in cultural life, co-editor of four collections and managing editor of the journal, "cultural geographies".Tim Cresswell is also a poet and his first collection, "Soil" is published by Penned in the Margins in 2013.
After attending Woolverstone Hall School, he received his B.A. from University College London before undertaking his postgraduate education at the University of Wisconsin–Madison, where he was awarded his Ph.D. in 1992, supervised by the renowned humanistic geographer Yi-Fu Tuan. He returned to the UK, teaching at the University of Wales, Lampeter until 1999, the University of Wales, Aberystwyth until 2006 and Royal Holloway, University of London until 2013.
His research interests are in social and cultural geography, specifically geographies of mobility, such as walking, ballroom dance, and international airports, and their role in shaping cultural outlooks.
Cresswell's best-known work is In Place/Out of Place (1996) which discusses notions of place and practices of resistance that may shape them, illustrating his arguments with case studies of graffiti in New York City and the protests at Greenham Common in the 1980s among other examples. His book The Tramp in America (2001) describes the intervention of the tramp as a social type in the United States between 1869 and 1939. Place: A Short Introduction (2004) provides a succinct introduction to the themes that he has researched. His book, On the Move: Mobility in the Modern Western World (2006) considers mobility in sites such as the workplace, the dancefloor and the international airport. His most recent book is "Geographic Thought: A Critical Introduction" (2013) which provides an introduction to the history of theory in geography.
- (2013) "Soil" (poetry)
- (2013) "Geographic Thought: A Critical Introduction"
- (2012) "Geographies of Mobilities: Practices, Spaces, Subjects" (co-edited with Peter Merriman)
- (2008) "Gendered Mobilities" (co-edited with Tanu Priya Uteng)
- (2006) On the Move: Mobility in the Modern World
- (2004) Place: A Short Introduction
- (2002) "Mobilizing Place, Placing Mobility" (co-edited with Ginette Verstraete)
- (2002) Engaging Film: Geographies of Mobility and Identity (co-edited with Deborah Dixon)
- (2001) The Tramp in America
- (1996) In Place/Out of Place: Geography, Ideology and Transgression University of Minnesota Press