|This article is outdated. (November 2010)|
Toby Crabel is a United States self-made millionaire commodities trader. In 2005, the Financial Times called Crabel "the most well-known trader on the counter-trend side". He is the fund manager of "Crabel Capital Management". Crabel Capital Management ranked number 101 out of 196 funds on Absolute Return magazine list, Absolute Return survey of U.S. groups with more than $1 billion AUM, July 2005. Mr Crabel managed 3.2 billion dollars, with growth of 16.7% in 2005. Crabel has consistently earned positive returns. He has avoided having a single losing year from 1991 to 2002. Crabel is also an author. In 1990, he wrote the book Day Trading with Short-term Price Patterns.
In 1975, while attending college, Toby began to trade the markets. He played professional tennis for three years. In the late 1980s, Crabel published a series of articles detailing various short-term price patterns for futures trading. He worked as a trader for Victor Niederhoffer at his firm in New York while also giving short-term market advice to floor traders. He left Niederhoffer Investments in 1992 to focus exclusively on managed futures trading. In January 1992, he started running his flagship Diversified Futures program. During 1998, he ran his hedge fund out of his house, located in a rural area northwest of Milwaukee. Diversified Futures closed to new investments in 2001 and had positive returns from inception through 2006.
He currently manages private client funds though Crabel Fund Ltd for non-US clients and through Crabel Fund LP for US clients. As of 2006, assets under management are $3.2B. Crabel manages these funds with a staff of 31 researchers and 28 traders.
- Harmon, Amy (July 23, 1998). "Talk, Type, Read E-Mail". Technology (The New York Times). Retrieved 2012-03-07.
- "FT.com". Search.ft.com. Retrieved 2012-07-27.
- Franiak, Frank J. (August 2000). "Managed Futures: Poor Performance Overshadows Success Stories". Futures Industry Magazine (Futures Industry Association). Retrieved 2012-03-07.(registration required)
- Cohen, Barry (September 2005). "Billion dollar club keeps growing" (PDF). Research (Absolute Return magazine). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2006-11-14. Retrieved 2006-11-19. N.B. This ranking of the top 196 money managers in the country is over seven years out-of-date.
- "Crabel capital". Freewebs.com. Retrieved 2012-07-27.
- "Network 2002". Speaker Bios. Managed Funds Association. February 3, 2002. Retrieved 2006-08-15.
- Hartle, Thom (April 2003). "Opening shots" (PDF). Trading Strategies (Active Trader Magazine). p. 23. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2006-10-16. Retrieved 2006-11-19.
- "Lock and Load". Features (MarHedge). 2006.
- "Crabel Website". About Founder. 2006. Retrieved 2006-08-15.
- Official Website
- Toby Crabel Price Patterns calculated daily for futures
- Referenced in Books
- Instructional Videos by Toby
- Toby's Stretch Free MT4 Indicator