Troy Township, Fountain County, Indiana
Location of Troy Township in Fountain County
|• Type||Indiana township|
|• Total||44.44 sq mi (115.1 km2)|
|• Land||43.86 sq mi (113.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.58 sq mi (1.5 km2)|
|Elevation||650 ft (198 m)|
|• Density||84.6/sq mi (32.7/km2)|
|GNIS feature ID||453902|
Troy Township lies along the western side of Fountain County; the Wabash River defines the western borders of both. According to the 2010 census, the township has a total area of 44.44 square miles (115.1 km2), of which 43.86 square miles (113.6 km2) (or 98.69%) is land and 0.58 square miles (1.5 km2) (or 1.31%) is water.
Troy Township contains the Fountain County seat of Covington, in the western part of the county near the river. At one time, the unincorporated community of Layton existed in the southeast part of the township along the present route of U.S. Route 136.
Interstate 74 passes through the southern part of the township. U.S. Route 136 lies to the north of I-74 for most of its route; it passes through Covington, but east of Layton, I-74 crosses to its north side.
The township contains the four cemeteries of Bend, Mount Hope, Prescott Grove and Sand Hill.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Population, Housing Units, Area, and Density: 2010 - County -- County Subdivision and Place -- 2010 Census Summary File 1". United States Census. Retrieved 2013-05-10.
- Beckwith, H. W. (1881). "Troy Township". History of Fountain County, together with historic notes on the Wabash Valley. Chicago: H. H. Hill and N. Iddings, Publishers. pp. 85–169.
- Clifton, Thomas, ed. (1913). "Troy Township". Past and Present of Fountain and Warren Counties Indiana. Indianapolis: B. F. Bowen and Company. pp. 156–158. Retrieved 2010-09-19.
||Steuben Township, Warren County||Pike Township, Warren County||Shawnee Township|
|Kent Township, Warren County
Mound Township, Warren County
|Van Buren Township|
|Highland Township, Vermillion County||Wabash Township|
|This Indiana state location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|