Trust the Man
|Trust The Man|
|Directed by||Bart Freundlich|
|Produced by||Sidney Kimmel
|Written by||Bart Freundlich|
|Music by||Clint Mansell|
|Edited by||John Gilroy|
|Distributed by||Fox Searchlight|
|Running time||103 minutes|
Trust the Man is a 2005 romantic comedy film starring David Duchovny, Billy Crudup, Julianne Moore, and Maggie Gyllenhaal. It was directed and written by Bart Freundlich. The film primarily deals with three relationships, and a realization of just how important those relationships are. It had a limited release on August 18, 2006.
Rebecca is a film actress, who is about to make her stage debut at Lincoln Center. Her husband, Tom gave up a lucrative job in advertising to take care of their young daughter. Occasionally, Tom and Rebecca have sex; once a year, they meet with their therapist, Dr. Beekman.
Tom and Rebecca's best friends are her brother Tobey, a sportswriter, and his girlfriend Elaine. Elaine, who has been dating Tobey for seven years, has begun to feel the ticking of her biological clock.
Tom and Rebecca each face extramarital temptations. Tom responds to a personal crisis that stems from his decision to choose kids over career by watching pornography and having an affair with a divorced mother from his son's school. Rebecca is pursued on the set by a young costar, Jasper, who would like to be able to claim that he's bedded a famous actress.
- David Duchovny as Tom
- Julianne Moore as Rebecca
- Billy Crudup as Tobey
- Maggie Gyllenhaal as Elaine
- Justin Bartha as Jasper
- Garry Shandling as Dr. Beekman
- Ellen Barkin as Norah
- Eva Mendes as Faith
- James LeGros as Dante
Based on 100 reviews collected by Rotten Tomatoes, the film has a 27% approval rating. The site reported in a consensus that "What aspires to be a sophisticated, unconventional romantic comedy turns out to be a contrivance-filled pretender to other, better films of its genre." Another review aggregator, Metacritic, gives the film a 43/100 approval rating based on 30 critics' reviews.
- Manolda Dargis (2006-08-18). "‘Trust the Man’: Two Couples Talk, Talk, Talk". The New York Times. Retrieved 2012-03-14.
- Kim Voynar (2006-08-17). "Review: Trust the Man". Cinematical. Retrieved 2012-03-14.
- "Trust the Man - Movie Reviews". Rotten Tomatoes. 12 May 2013. Retrieved 12 May 2013.
- Metacritic. 12 May 2013 http://www.metacritic.com/movie/trust-the-man
|url=missing title (help). Retrieved 12 May 2013.
- Trust the Man at the Internet Movie Database
- Trust the Man at Rotten Tomatoes
- Trust the Man at Metacritic
- Trust the Man at Box Office Mojo
|This article about a 2000s romantic comedy film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|