|This talk page is automatically archived. Any threads with no replies in 14 days may be automatically moved. Sections without timestamps are not archived.|
If you're looking for recommendations, you have two options. Should you want to try it out just once, please go to User:SuggestBot/Requests. If you want recommendations regularly, you can add yourself to the list of SuggestBot Regulars.
Feedback on recommendations, ideas for new features, questions about how SuggestBot works, or anything else related to SuggestBot are all examples of topics welcome below. A bot moves older feedback to the archives regularly, there is also an archive in User:SuggestBot/FeedbackArchive. Thanks for stopping by to let us you what you think! Cheers, Nettrom (talk) 11:07, 25 December 2013 (UTC)
It would be good if the bot did not deliver to pages, like User talk:GhostInTheMachine, which were over, say 100,000 bytes in length. It could perhaps, leave a one-off short note explaining that it would resume (or could be asked to manually), once the age size was reduced. Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits 16:08, 6 January 2015 (UTC)
- Hi Andy, and thanks for the feedback! There are a couple of checks in place already to prevent SuggestBot from posting. It'll not post to a page over 1MB in size, as those tend to result in timeouts or other issues. Secondly, it checks to see if users are still active, and those who have not made an edit in the past 60 days are marked as "retired". There are some active users who rarely archive their talk page, and currently SuggestBot's posts are quite large. Having SuggestBot posting a note suggesting they archive manually (or set up auto-archiving) sounds like a good idea, so I'll look into that. Hopefully I'll also have some time in the near future to look into compressing SuggestBot's post (using a Lua module), which should make it much less bothersome too. Thanks again for the idea! Cheers, Nettrom (talk) 16:34, 8 January 2015 (UTC)
Nettrom, I so appreciate all you do with SuggestBot. And I've found it so very useful in the past when working on Japanese-related articles.
However, I've changed over to editing on Brazil-related articles, and I get very few suggestions for those. Also, I'm getting a lot of the same suggestions every week (e.g., "Attorney General of Brazil") -- as you can see from my talk page. Should I do something to generate some fresh suggestions that I haven't seen before? Maybe I'm just not making as many edits as I've made in the past.
- @Prburley: Thanks so much for the positive feedback, I'm happy to hear SuggestBot's been useful to you! I went back and examined our logs to see if there was something in particular going on with your suggestions. While I did not find anything suspicious, I did of course notice what you mentioned, that there are very few Brazil-oriented articles suggested. You mentioned your edits, so I went and also looked at those. SuggestBot uses your last 500 edits in the article namespace. I noticed that in your case, that spans quite a long time, and since it treats all edits equally, your more recent edits to articles about Brazil are not reflected in the suggestions.
- One way we can solve this problem is to have the bot treat more recent edits as more important in its recommendations. I've scheduled some time to look into this, because there is a related change I also want to implement. So, hopefully in the not to distant future your suggestions will be more about Brazil. And thanks for bringing this to my attention! Cheers, Nettrom (talk) 20:39, 11 February 2015 (UTC)
Please Help me Unsuscribe
I remember removing the User:SuggestBot template from my User_talk:Nkansahrexford a long time ago, but yet, I still get the messages. Please unsubscribe me. Thanks --Nkansahrexford (talk) 20:28, 9 February 2015 (UTC)
- @Nkansahrexford: Sorry about that! I found SuggestBot's configuration template on your user page, which led the bot to continue to post to your talk page. I removed the template, so the bot should stop posting suggestions to you now. Sorry for the trouble, I hope the bot's been useful to you, and that we get to see you again at some point in the future! Regards, Nettrom (talk) 22:08, 9 February 2015 (UTC)
...is already easy but I think if you change so that to trigger it you click a link on a specific page (here?). That way people don't have to edit anything they just click the button and done. Thanks --DangerousJXD (talk) 05:42, 11 February 2015 (UTC)
- @DangerousJXD: Hi, thanks for getting in touch about that! I completely agree, and have been wanting to do something about this for a while. For those users who just want a set of suggestions, we can do it with two clicks (one to click a button, and one to save their talk page with the template on it). Will see if I can get around to doing something about it, thanks! Cheers, Nettrom (talk) 20:42, 11 February 2015 (UTC)