|This talk page is automatically archived. Any threads with no replies in 14 days may be automatically moved. Sections without timestamps are not archived.|
If you're looking for recommendations, you have two options. Should you want to try it out just once, please go to User:SuggestBot/Requests. If you want recommendations regularly, you can add yourself to the list of SuggestBot Regulars.
Feedback on recommendations, ideas for new features, questions about how SuggestBot works, or anything else related to SuggestBot are all examples of topics welcome below. A bot moves older feedback to the archives regularly, there is also an archive in User:SuggestBot/FeedbackArchive. Thanks for stopping by to let us you what you think! Cheers, Nettrom (talk) 11:07, 25 December 2013 (UTC)
I put all Pembrokeshire categories in my first request for suggestions, and most of the results were not related to Pembrokeshire. However, some suggestions led me to articles in other parts of the country, and I was able to make some quick edits there. So the suggestions were useful (for Wikipedia) after all! It will be worth doing again. If nothing else, it has given me a better insight into just how much needs to be done. Tony Holkham (talk) 11:31, 30 April 2014 (UTC)
- Hi Tony Holkham, thanks for trying out SuggestBot and for giving us feedback! I'm sorry that your suggestions didn't cover Pembrokeshire, that's clearly not the way it should be, so I've added your list of categories as a useful testcase for when we work on improving the bot. From our logs I saw that one of our methods for finding similar articles was not used as all, which is definitely something we'll look into.
- I'm happy to hear that you found some articles to work, though, that's what we're here for. Thanks again for trying the bot and in particular for the useful feedback! Cheers, Nettrom (talk) 13:55, 30 April 2014 (UTC)
In the bot's suggestions (User:Thnidu/Suggestions), I wasn't sure what the heading "Unencyclopaedic" referred to, so I searched for Wikipedia:Unencyclopaedic. Surprise! No such page, and no redirect. But the search page asked
- Did you mean: Wikipedia:Unencyclopedic
That seemed reasonable, so I clicked on it and was redirected to
Kind of roundabout, don't you think? I'm making a redirect for the British spelling to that same section, but I recommend that you change the bot's text to the American spelling, Unencyclopedic, to match the section title and the existing redirect.
- Hi Thnidu, thanks for using SuggestBot and getting in touch about this! Pardon the delay in responding here, I'm finishing up a research paper at the moment so things are a bit hectic.
- I understand the confusion here, you're not the first one to mention this problem. We have a page documenting the task categories but I noticed that it's quite difficult to find unless you know where to look. I've added a note in our issue tracker to link to update our templates to link to the documentation, and at the same time I'll either change the spelling or figure out a less confusing category name. Thanks again for the feedback and for using SuggestBot! Regards, Nettrom (talk) 14:15, 3 June 2014 (UTC)
SuggestBot was really useful until... I started to do anti-vandalism and cleanup work. Then I was all over the place. And the suggestions were all over the place too. I was thinking maybe to make a filter. For example, don't count any contributions made by AWB, STiki and Huggle etc. Thanks, TheQ Editor (Talk) 12:45, 31 May 2014 (UTC)
- Hi TheQ Editor, thanks for using SuggestBot and for letting us know about this problem! Sorry about taking a few days to get back to you, finishing up a research paper for the CSCW conference takes all of my time.
- We want SuggestBot to be useful also to those who do anti-vandalism & cleanup work, so the bot should be filtering out tool-based edits, I know we check for both AWB, STiki, and Huggle. Might be that our filtering method is outdated, so I've noted it in our issue tracker and will look into it. The way SuggestBot works it is also quite sensitive, if you have a bunch of edits to related articles and then make one edit to an unrelated one, it can throw the suggestions off quite a bit. I'll also be looking into fixing that at the same time. Thanks again for using SuggestBot and reporting this issue, and let me know if there's anything else! Regards, Nettrom (talk) 14:29, 3 June 2014 (UTC)
A barnstar for you!
|The Technical Barnstar|
|Congratulations! TheQ Editor has marked Legobot as the 3rd best bot on the English Wikipedia. When you don't do what to edit, just leave it to SuggestBot. Cheers, TheQ Editor (Talk) 00:25, 14 August 2014 (UTC)|
Could SuggestBot make suggestions based on my Watchlist?
I just tried SuggestBot for the first time, and it looks fantastic - thanks. Lately I have been doing some cleanup work so my recent edits are not much help for suggestions. What would be a lot more meaningful would be to look at my Watchlist as a basis. I know I could copy them all out, reformat, and plug into the SuggestBot template, but it would be brilliant if it could just interrogate the Watchlist automatically. --Gronk Oz (talk) 06:35, 19 August 2014 (UTC)
- I agree, sometimes when I tag some pages related to chrisinaity for citation needed, I got Franciscan Church of the Annunciation come up this morning. But, at least it opts out all semi-automatic edits, if it didn't, I would probably get results about sex and mickey mouse. Vandals seem attracted to those. I'm alright with the watchlist idea, but if there was an option to insert 100 pages manually, it would be awesome. My watchlist contains a lot of Sophia the First articles just for catching vandals. ΤheQ Editor Talk? 16:14, 19 August 2014 (UTC)
- Good thoughts. So perhaps if there was some place (such as a user sub-page called "SuggestBot" perhaps?) where one could easily maintain a list of the sort of articles that should be targets, is that the sort of thing you are thinking of? For me, that would be just as good, or perhaps better than the Watchlist idea. --Gronk Oz (talk) 01:51, 20 August 2014 (UTC)