Varna Municipality within Bulgaria and Varna Province.
|Admin. centre (Obshtinski tsentar)||Varna|
|• Total||237.5 km2 (91.7 sq mi)|
|Population (Census 2011)|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
Varna Municipality (Bulgarian: Община Варна) is a seaside municipality (obshtina) in Varna Province, Northeastern Bulgaria, located on the Bulgarian Black Sea Coast and near Varna lake. It is named after its administrative centre - the city of Varna - which is also the capital of the homonymous province.
The municipality embraces a territory of 237.5 km² with a population, as of February 2011, of 343,704 inhabitants, the nation's second largest municipality after the capital Sofia.
Varna Municipality includes the following 6 places (towns are shown in bold):
The following table shows the change of the population during the last four decades.
|Sources: Census 2001, Census 2011, „pop-stat.mashke.org“,|
According to the 2011 census, among those who answered the optional question on ethnic identification, the ethnic composition of the municipality was the following:
- (English) Bulgarian National Statistical Institute - Bulgarian provinces and municipalities in 2009
- (English) Bulgarian National Statistical Institute - Bulgarian towns in 2009
- (English) Bulgarian National Statistical Institute - Bulgarian villages under 1000 inhabitants - December 2009
- (English) Bulgarian National Statistical Institute - Bulgarian Settlements 1000-5000 inhabitants - December 2009
- National Statistical Institute - Census 2001
- Population by province, municipality, settlement and age by 01.02.2011; Bulgarian National Statistical Institute
- Population of Bulgarian divisions
- Population by province, municipality, settlement and ethnic identification, by 01.02.2011; Bulgarian National Statistical Institute (Bulgarian)
- Official website (Bulgarian)