|Full name||Vasilios Kotronias|
August 25, 1964 |
|FIDE rating||2564 (July 2014)|
|Peak rating||2628 (January 2008)|
Between 1998 and 2004, he represented Cyprus, but has since switched Federations to become a Greek national player once again.
He is a candidate for the European Parliament with to Potami, in the elections of 25 May 2014.
International tournament record
- 1st 1988 Athens (Acropolis International)
- 1st 1993 Komotini
- 1st 1993 Corfu
- 1st 1994 Gausdal
- 1st 1995 Greek Championship
- 1st 1995 Gausdal
- 1st 1996 Rishon le Zion
- 1st 1998 Panormo
Most played openings
|With the White pieces||With the Black pieces|
|Sicilian (212)||Sicilian (188)|
|Ruy Lopez (117)||King's Indian (140)|
|French Defense (71)||Sicilian Richter-Rauser (55)|
|Ruy Lopez, Closed (62)||English (27)|
|French Tarrasch (57)||Queen's Pawn Game (25)|
|Caro-Kann (49)||Queen's Gambit Declined (18)|
In team chess, he has participated in many Chess Olympiads since 1984, including eight on top board, with a healthy overall plus score of +63 −29 = 62 (61%). In seven appearances at the European Team Chess Championships, all played at board one, he made a score of +19 −13 = 26. At León, in 2001, he earned an individual silver medal for his score of 5½/8. He also earned a bronze medal for his performance on the second board at the Dresden Olympiad 2008 and a gold medal for his performance on the reserve board at the Warsaw European Team Championship 2013.
- Vasilios Kotronias vs Evgeny Tomashevsky, European Individual Championships (2013), Spanish Game: Morphy Defense. Steinitz Deferred (C79), 1-0
- Vasilios Kotronias vs Hikaru NakamuraGibtelecom (2009), Caro-Kann Defense: Classical Variation. Main lines (B18), 1-0
- Peter Heine Nielsen vs Vasilios Kotronias, Hastings 2004, King's Indian Defense: Orthodox Variation, Classical System Neo-Classical Line (E98), 0-1
- Vasilios Kotronias vs Nikolaos Skalkotas, 34th Greek Teams Championship 2005, Spanish Game: Closed Variations, Chigorin Defense (C99), 1-0
- Laurent Fressinet vs Vasilios Kotronias, 12th European Individual Championship (2011), King's Indian Defense: Orthodox Variation. Gligoric-Taimanov System (E92), 0-1
- Carlsen's Assault on the Throne (2013) by Vassilios Kotronias & Sotiris Logothetis
- Kotronias on the King's Indian Fianchetto Systems by Vassilios Kotronias (2013)
- Kotronias, Vassilios (2011). The Grandmaster Battle Manual. Quality Chess. ISBN 978-1-906552-52-7.
- (With Andreas Tzermiadianos) Beating the Petroff, Sterling Pub Co Inc, 2005.
- Beating the Flank Openings, Batsford Chess Library, 1998.
- Beating the Caro-Kann, Batsford Chess Library, 1994.
- "The Grandmaster Battle Manual". ChessCafe.com. Retrieved 9 July 2011.
- Crowther, Mark (1998-11-09). "The Week in Chess 209: Zonal 1.5 Panormo, Crete". London Chess Center. Retrieved 2009-07-14.
- "The chess games of Vasilios Kotronias".
- German Wiki
- Team record at Olimpbase