Rasuk (right) with co-star Bryan Greenberg at a public event
January 15, 1984 |
New York City, New York, U.S.
Life and career
Rasuk attended performing arts school as a teenager, and began acting at 14. He garnered his first movie role at 16 in Five Feet High and Rising. The film—less than 30 minutes long—was a hit at the Independent Spirit Film Festival. Two years later, the same director, Peter Sollett, suggested expanding the short film into a feature-length movie: Raising Victor Vargas, which went on to win Rasuk an Independent Spirit Award nomination for his work. In his next film, Rock Steady, Rasuk played a character named Roc. Two years later, he took a leading role in Haven with Orlando Bloom.
In 2005, Lords of Dogtown was released, with Victor playing Tony Alva, one of the leading roles. The part included surfing and performing skateboarding tricks. Although the more complicated maneuvers were performed by stunt men (including the scenes of surfing at Pacific Ocean Park pier and skating in empty swimming pools), Rasuk is a method actor and worked on remaining in character both on and off screen. Believing he had mastered skating a huge ramp in only his second week of training, Rasuk fractured one of his orbital bones. Rasuk says the accident likely earned him more respect from serious skaters within the cast and crew.
- Flawless (1999): Kid from the Neighborhood (uncredited)
- Five Feet High and Rising (2000): Victor
- The Soft Parade (short, 2001) Shakespeare NYU
- Raising Victor Vargas aka Long Way Home (2002): Victor Vargas
- Rock Steady (2002): Roc
- Undefeated (2003): Street Kid
- Haven (2004): Fritz
- Lords of Dogtown (2005): Tony Alva
- I'm Reed Fish (2006): Frank Cortez
- Bonneville (2006): Bo Douglas
- Emil (2006)
- Spinning Into Butter (2007): Patrick Chibas
- Adrift in Manhattan (2007): Simon Colon
- Feel the Noise (2007): Javi
- Stop-Loss (2008): Pvt. Rico Rodriguez
- Che (2008): Rogelio Acevedo
- ER (TV series) (2008–2009): Dr. Ryan Sanchez
- Life Is Hot in Cracktown (2009): Manny
- The War Boys (2009): Greg
- Apples (2010): Valet
- How to Make It in America (TV series) (2010–present): Cameron 'Cam' Calderon
- Celestina (2011): Nelson
- Keep Coming Back (2011): Bobby
- Being Flynn (2012): Gabriel
- El Jefe (2012): Alfonso 'Al' Rodriguez
- Jobs (2013): Bill Fernandez
- Godzilla (2014): Tre Morales
- Fifty Shades of Grey (2015): José Rodriguez
- Guthmann, Edward (April 23, 2003). "Victor victorious / A 19-year-old newcomer is winning over movie critics with his role in 'Vargas'". The San Francisco Chronicle.
- "Victor Rasuk in How to Make It in America". HBO. Retrieved March 27, 2010.