Waverly Senior High School
|Waverly Senior High School|
|160 Snow Road
Lansing, MI, 48917
|School district||Waverly Community Schools|
|Enrollment||1060 (February 2013)|
|Athletics conference||Capital Area Activities Conference|
Waverly High School Front
Waverly Senior High School or known just as Waverly High School is located in Waverly, Michigan, an unincorporated community in Delta Township. As of February 2013 the school had 1,060 students in 9th to 12th grade.
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (August 2013)|
The school was built between 1959 and 1961, and was renovated several times. In the mid to late 1980s, the school was renovated for removal of asbestos. During the 1990s and mid 2000s, the school was renovated for installation of computers and television sets for classroom use. It is believed that during that time, the school also had installation of SmartBoards and document cameras and projectors. The track was built sometime in the late 1990s and early 2000s by McKearney Asphalt.
Waverly offers six AP classes: English literature and composition, U.S. history, world history, calculus, biology and psychology.
Waverly Band Program
The band program is sponsored by Waverly students and parents and is a non-profit organization that allows students the opportunity to be part of band. The band has been on various outings such as the Grand Ledge Marching Exhibition and trips to Florida and New York.
There are other musical programs offered as well - such as jazz band that is scheduled in the morning, pit orchestra for musicals, concert band, and symphonic band (higher level band) in high school that is available sophomore year on a first come, first served basis (as well as through an audition).
Waverly Orchestra Program
The orchestra program is also a non-profit organization offered to students that is sponsored by students and parents. Students are either in concert orchestra or honors orchestra (higher level). The program also participates in musicals.
Waverly offers football, basketball, baseball, tennis, hockey, soccer, swimming, girls golf, cheerleading, bowling, dance team, and cross country. Students are also able to receive letters for academic achievement while participating in sports.
The school is noted for improvement by the State of Michigan, as scores in the past have not been proficient.
- Muhsin Muhammad - former National Football League player
- John Smoltz - former Major League Baseball player
- Danton Cole - former National Hockey League player
- Michael Kimball - American novelist
- Marcus Taylor- former professional basketball player
- Waverly High School Newsletter February/March 2013
- Waverly Senior High School - Lansing, Michigan - MI - School overview
- Bannon, Terry (March 2, 2005). "Long-haul philosophy". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved January 7, 2015.
- Bowman, Mark (January 6, 2015). "Scouts thrilled they followed tip on Smoltz". MLB.com. Retrieved January 7, 2015.
- Solari, Chris (January 6, 2015). "Waverly's Smoltz selected for baseball Hall of Fame". Lansing State Journal. Retrieved January 7, 2015.
- Staudt, Tim (March 23, 2011). "It Was Cole ... Then Anastos". WILX-TV. Retrieved January 7, 2015.
- Wetzel, Dan; Yaeger, Don (2000). Sole Influence: Basketball, Corporate Greed, and the Corruption of America's Youth. Grand Central Publishing. ISBN 9780759521551.
- Thompson, Jack (August 31, 1999). "Top Point Guard Picks Michigan St.". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved January 7, 2015.