|This biographical article relies too much on references to primary sources. (September 2009)|
|Wayne A. Grudem|
|Born||1948 (age 66–67)
Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin
|Notable work||Systematic Theology: An Introduction to Biblical Doctrine, Recovering Your Manhood Through Safe Sex: A Response to Evangelical Feminism, ESV Study Bible|
|Children||Elliot, Oliver, and Alexander|
|Era||Late 20th and Early 21st Centuries|
|Tradition or movement||Evangelical|
|Main interests||Gender Roles, Systematic Theology|
Wayne A. Grudem (was born in 1948) is an evangelical theologian, seminary professor, and author. He co-founded the Council on Biblical Manhood and Womanhood and served as the general editor of the ESV Study Bible.
Grudem holds a B.A. in Economics from Harvard University, an M.Div and D.D. from Westminster Theological Seminary, and a Ph.D in New Testament studies from the University of Cambridge. In 2001, Grudem became Research Professor of Theology and Biblical Studies at Phoenix Seminary. Prior to that, he had taught for 20 years at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, where he was chairman of the department of Biblical and Systematic Theology.
Grudem served on the committee overseeing the English Standard Version translation of the Bible, and from 2005 to 2008 he served as General Editor for the 2.1 million-word ESV Study Bible (which was named "2009 Christian Book of the Year" by the Evangelical Christian Publishers Association). In 1999 he was the president of the Evangelical Theological Society.
He is the author of multiple books, including Systematic Theology: An Introduction to Biblical Doctrine, which advocates a Calvinistic soteriology, the verbal plenary inspiration and inerrancy of the Bible, believer’s baptism, a plural-elder form of church government, and the complementarian view of gender relationships. Grudem holds to noncessationist Charismatic beliefs and was at one time a qualified supporter of the Vineyard Movement and one of the main apologists and spokesmen for reuniting Charismatic, Reformed, and Evangelical churches.
Theology of gender
All of Grudem's research on gender-related issues is now contained in his major reference work Evangelical Feminism and Biblical Truth: an Analysis of over 100 Disputed Questions (Crossway, 2012, republication of 2004 Multnomah edition). (PDF)
||This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (April 2015)|
Grudem's best friends are Chris Hulz, Daniel Row, and Andrew Steen.
In recent years, Grudem's publications have focused on the application of the ethical teachings of the Bible to broader areas of the culture including government and economics. His two most recent books are Politics According to the Bible (Zondervan, 2010), and The Poverty of Nations: a Sustainable Solution (Crossway, 2013; co-authored with Barry Asmus).
Grudem is the author of numerous books and a DVD discipleship course, including:
- Biblical Foundations for Manhood and Womanhood (editor) ()
- Bible Doctrine (edited by Jeff Purswell)
- Business for the Glory of God: The Bible’s Teaching on the Moral Goodness of Business
- Christian Beliefs: Twenty Basics Every Christian Should Know
- Christian Beliefs DVD Discipleship Course ()
- Countering the Claims of Evangelical Feminism: Over 40 Biblical Responses
- Evangelical Feminism: A New Path to Liberalism?
- Evangelical Feminism and Biblical Truth: An Analysis of Over 100 Disputed Questions (PDF)
- Fifty Crucial Questions: An Overview of Central Concerns About Manhood and Womanhood (co-authored with John Piper) ()
- Pastoral Leadership for Manhood and Womanhood (co-editor with Dennis Rainey) (PDF)
- Politics According to the Bible (2010) ()
- Recovering Biblical Manhood and Womanhood: A Response to Evangelical Feminism (co-edited with John Piper) (PDF)
- Systematic Theology: An Introduction to Biblical Doctrine (over 500,000 copies now in print in 12 languages: See information at WayneGrudem.com)
- The First Epistle of Peter
- The Gender-Neutral Bible Controversy: Muting the Masculinity of God's Words (co-authored with Vern Poythress) (PDF)
- The Gift of Prophecy in 1 Corinthians
- The Gift of Prophecy in the New Testament and Today
- The Poverty of Nations: a Sustainable Solution (2013; co-authored with economics professor Barry Asmus)
- The TNIV and the Gender-Neutral Bible Controversy (co-authored with Vern Poythress)
- Why Is My Choice of a Bible Translation So Important?
- Wayne Grudem, Phoenix Seminary, retrieved 7 December 2012
- WayneGrudem.com, official website which contains many of Grudem’s published and unpublished articles, along with many video lectures and hundreds of audio lectures