Wikipedia mainly runs on MediaWiki, the wiki platform written in PHP, and there are a number of customized modifications of the wiki, built for other WikiMedia projects, or for external projects. (See Wikipedia:MediaWiki)
There have also been scripts written specifically for working with Wikipedia as well as with other MediaWiki-based sites, such as "wiki format" scripts for text editors, bots, extensions for browsers, and site tools that help with particular aspects of editing Wikipedia.
Wiki server-side software
- MediaWiki - Wikipedia flagship software
- WikiTeX - extension package for MediaWiki published as a complete package.
See also Wikipedia:Toolbars.
- Extension (Mozilla)
- http://wikipedia.mozdev.org - Firefox (Mozilla?) plug-in for toolbar for editing Wikipedia or any other MediaWiki site (with configuration).
- https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=394- the ViewSourceWith extension for Firefox. Allows one to open up an edit box in an external editor (like emacs or vim) and automatically update any changes made and saved.
Text editor extensions/plugins
- Vim - Wikipedia format highlighting script
- Kate (editor) - Wikipedia format highlighting script
- Wikipedia-mode.el - User:CYD's Emacs major mode for editing Wikipedia articles offline.
- meta:Help:Table#External links for web-based table converters