Wikipedia:WikiProject Years in science
|This WikiProject is defunct.
Consider looking for related projects to help. If you feel this defunct project may be worth reviving, please discuss with related projects first. See the WikiProject Guide for advice on reviving an inactive WikiProject.
Feel free to remove this tag if it was placed in error.
It has been suggested by some to create a in science article for each year listing important discoveries and advances in science, similar to what is done with the in music articles (i.e. Timeline of musical events). The format is not finalized but the following is a suggestion. Currently there is a year in science article for every year from 1600 CE to the present.
Tasks and on-going discussions
- Revive this project or prepare it for a merge. This project has been inactive since about 2004. (December 2007)
- The year in science articles are missing references. (December 2007)
- The pre-1600 coverage is spotty and frequently unformatted (e.g., 1506 in science). (December 2007)
- User:Wernher questioned whether science and technology should be lumped together in a single article at Talk:2005 in science#Arrgh! Science ≠ Technology!. (Only one response since 2005.)
- 1500 in science and 1507 in science were WP:PRODded in July 2007. See Talk:1507 in science for the objection and a call for further discussion. (July 2007)
- User:Mrwojo asks about the future of this project at Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Years in science#Future. (December 2007)
This project recommends a /Template that should be followed for year in science articles.
In addition to the usual content guidelines and notability guidelines, the following recommendations are given to help clarify what kind of content should appear in year in science articles. These guidelines are, of course, open for discussion.
- All events should be relevant to science or technology.
- Events should be limited to human scientific study or technological advances.
- Discovery: The finding of new planets, new species, etc.
- Theory: Influential published ideas.
- Validation: Experimental testing, or proof, or a pioneer of a previous idea.
- Advance: A concept that signifies a widespread change of ideas. This can be thought of in terms of popular science and technology, such as the coining of the term dinosaur in 1842.
- Award: Nobel prizes in science, Fields medals, etc.
- Natural history events can be added, provided they are especially notable and of interest to science. (This area could use some discussion.)
- For example, earthquakes, epidemics, eclipses, extinctions.
- Birth and death dates of scientists and technologists are included as separate sections.
- Other human events should not be covered.
- This prevents the article from including nearly all of the same content as the broader year articles.
- Month Day - Brief description of the event.<ref>Source.</ref>
- This is the format for an event.
- Month Day - Name, very brief description (b. 1842).
- This is the format for a birth/death date. Use b. to indicate birth year when noting a person's death and d. to indicate death year when noting their birth.
- Complete sentences (except for birth and death dates)
- Please use complete sentences, ending in a full stop (period), for clarity. You do not need to use complete sentences in the birth/death sections.
- "Years in science" in other Wikipedias
- (French) Category: fr:Catégorie:Chronologie de la science (mainly from 1800-present, spotty between 8th and 18th century)
- (Hungarian) hu:A tudomány években (spotty coverage from 10th century to present)
- (Tamil) ta:அறிவியலில் ஆண்டுகளின் பட்டியல் (apparently just 1600)
- (Swedish) sv:Lista över vetenskapsår (mainly 1954-present, spotty back to the 17th century)
- (Danish) Category: da:Kategori:Videnskab efter årstal (20th century to present, almost all the articles are empty however)
- (Slovene) Category: sl:Kategorija:Znanost po letih (apparently only sl:Znanost v letu 2006)
- (Hebrew) Category: he:קטגוריה:שנים במדע (spotty from about 1800 to present)
- (Polish) pl:Kalendarium naukowe (20th century)
- (Norwegian Nynorsk) Category: nn:Kategori:Vitskapsår (just 1820 and 1869)
- (Slovak) (No centralization, several articles starting around sk:1852 vo vede up to about sk:1998 vo vede.)
- (Dutch) (No centralization, these four articles: nl:Wetenschap in 1933, nl:Wetenschap in 1934, nl:Wetenschap in 1935, nl:Wetenschap in 1936)
- (Russian) (Only ru:1960 в науке)
- (Chinese) (Apparently only zh:1980年科技, zh:2003年科技, zh:2006年科技)