William VIII, Landgrave of Hesse-Kassel
|Landgrave of Hesse-Kassel|
|Spouse(s)||Dorothea Wilhelmina of Saxe-Zeitz|
Frederick II, Landgrave of Hesse-Kassel
The Landgrave of Hesse-Kassel
|Noble family||House of Hesse-Kassel|
|Father||Charles I, Landgrave of Hesse-Kassel|
|Mother||Maria Amalia of Courland|
|Born||10 March 1682
|Died||1 February 1760
William VIII (10 March 1682 – 1 February 1760) ruled Hesse-Kassel from 1730 until his death, first as regent (1730–1751) and then as landgrave (1751–1760).
Born in Kassel, he was the seventh son of Charles I, Landgrave of Hesse-Kassel and Maria Amalia of Courland. After his elder brother Frederick became King of Sweden in 1720 and his father died in 1730, he became de facto ruler of Hesse-Kassel. He officially became landgrave after his brother's death on 25 March 1751.
His second son and successor, Frederick, became a Catholic, which led to restrictions on Catholicism in the Calvinist landgraviate and the transfer of the Principality of Hanau to his Protestant son William.
In 1717, William married Dorothea Wilhelmina (20 March 1691 – 17 March 1743), eldest daughter of Maurice William, Duke of Saxe-Zeitz.
They had three children: Charles (21 August 1718 – 17 October 1719); Frederick, his successor; and Maria Amalia (7 July 1721 – 19 November 1744). He died at Rinteln in 1760.
|This section requires expansion. (February 2013)|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to William VIII, Landgrave of Hesse-Kassel.|
- Hugo Brunner (1898), "Wilhelm VIII.", Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB) (in German) 43, Leipzig: Duncker & Humblot, pp. 60–64
- Reinhard Dietrich (1996) (in German). Die Landesverfassung in dem Hanauischen = Hanauer Geschichtsblätter 34. Hanau. ISBN 3-9801933-6-5
- Bernhard Schnackenburg (2000) (in German). Landgraf Wilhelm VIII. von Hessen-Kassel, Gründer der Kasselerer Gemäldegalerie. In: Heide Wunder (Ed.): Kassel im 18. Jahrhundert. Kassel. S. 71–87.
- Wolf von Both/Hans Vogt (Ed.) (1964) (in German). Landgraf Wilhelm VIII. von Hessen-Kassel. Ein Fürst der Rokokozeit = Veröffentlichungen der Historischen Kommission für Hessen und Waldeck, Bd. 27,1/ Schriften zur Hessischen Kulturgeschichte, Bd. 1. Munich.
- Franz Carl Theodor Piderit (1844) (in German). Geschichte der Haupt- und Residenzstadt Kassel S. 304 ff.
William VIII, Landgrave of Hesse-KasselBorn: 10 March 1682 Died: 1 February 1760
|Landgrave of Hesse-Kassel