Willington Hall, east front
|Location||Willington, Cheshire, England|
|OS grid reference||SJ 533 660|
|Built for||Major W. Tomkinson|
|Architectural style(s)||Tudor Revival|
|Designated||8 November 1985|
The house was built in 1829 for Major W. Tomkinson, and designed by the Nantwich architect George Latham. In 1878 a new east front was added for James Tomkinson. At the same time a new wing and stable locks were added, and in the 1920s a laundry block was built. During the 1950s it was reduced in size, removing the 1878 east front and some of the outbuildings. In 1955 a portico was added, and it has since been in use as a hotel. The house is designated by English Heritage as a Grade II listed building.
Willington Hall is constructed in orange brick with buff sandstone dressings and a Welsh slate roof. The brickwork is decorated with diapering in blue brick. The architectural style is described as Jacobean, or Neo-Elizabethan. The building is square in plan, plus a wing to the north. It has two storeys and an attic. The façades are symmetrical The garden front faces south and consists of three bays. The lateral bays contain canted bay windows and have shaped gables. The windows are mullioned and transomed. The entrance bay faces east and also has three bays, the lateral bays having triangular gables. At the front of the central bay is a porch with four Tuscan columns.
There are two structures associated with the hall that are also Grade II listed buildings. The first is a sundial in the garden dating from about 1830 and constructed in ashlar buff sandstone. The other consists of the south and east walls of the terrace, that are also in sandstone.
- de Figueiredo, Peter; Treuherz, Julian (1988), Cheshire Country Houses, Chichester: Phillimore, p. 282, ISBN 0-85033-655-4
- History, Willington Hall, retrieved 13 July 2011
- English Heritage, "Willington Hall (1137030)", National Heritage List for England, retrieved 19 February 2012
- Hartwell, Clare; Hyde, Matthew; Hubbard, Edward; Pevsner, Nikolaus (2011) , Cheshire, The Buildings of England, New Haven and London: Yale University Press, p. 669, ISBN 978-0-300-17043-6
- English Heritage, "Sundial at Willington Hall (1330307)", National Heritage List for England, retrieved 25 September 2012
- English Heritage, "South and east terrace wall at Willington Hall (1130544)", National Heritage List for England, retrieved 25 September 2012