Woodrow M. Kroll
|Woodrow M. Kroll|
October 21, 1944 |
Ellwood City, Pennsylvania, U.S.
|Education||Th. D., Th. M, Geneva-St. Albans Theological Seminary
M. Div, Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
|Children||Tracy, Timothy, Tina, and Tiffany|
|Parents||Frank and Betty Kroll|
|Back to the Bible
daily radio program (1990–2013)
|President of Practical Bible College (now Davis College), 1981-1990|
Woodrow Michael Kroll (born October 21, 1944) is an evangelical preacher and radio host. He was the president and Bible teacher for the international Back to the Bible radio and television ministry. He is a former president of Davis College (formerly Practical Bible College) in Johnson City, New York, United States.
In addition to preaching and teaching, Woodrow Kroll is a prolific writer, having authored more than 50 books expounding on the Bible and Christian living.
Background and education
Woodrow Kroll was born to Frank and Betty Kroll in Ellwood City, Pennsylvania. His father, Reverend Frank Kroll, attended Practical Bible Training School (as it was then called) from 1936 to 1939 and pastored the Park Gate Baptist Church in Ellwood City for thirty-three years. Woodrow Kroll followed in his father's footsteps and attended Practical Bible Training School from 1962 to 1965.
He is married to the former Linda Piper. They have four children: Tracy, Timothy, Tina, and Tiffany. Their son Timothy has followed his father and grandfather in ministry and is the senior pastor at Northside Baptist Church in St. Petersburg, Florida.
Ministry and teaching career
Woodrow Kroll began his ministry as the pastor of First Baptist Church in Middleboro, Massachusetts (1968–1970). He then taught at Practical Bible Training School (now Davis College) 1971–1973. From 1975 to 1980, he chaired the Division of Religion at Liberty University in Lynchburg, Virginia. On January 17, 1981, Woodrow Kroll was inaugurated as president of Practical Bible Training School, also teaching Bible and preaching while serving as president.
During Kroll's presidency, the school obtained accreditation from the Transnational Association of Christian Colleges and Schools (TRACS) and the American Association of Bible Colleges (AABC, now the Association for Biblical Higher Education). He also developed the administration, curriculum, and much of the school's structure as it exists today, now as Davis College. Dr. Kroll resigned on April 27, 1990, to assume the leadership of the Back to the Bible organization.
Back to the Bible
Begun in 1939 by Theodore Epp on radio station KFOR (AM) in Lincoln, Nebraska, the Back to the Bible broadcast became a worldwide ministry by the time its founder retired in 1981. Epp was succeeded by Warren W. Wiersbe, former pastor of Moody Church in Chicago, Illinois, who served as leader of the Lincoln-based ministry between 1981–1989. Woodrow Kroll was inaugurated in 1990 as the third president of Back to the Bible, the position he held until 2013. Dr. John Munro, Senior Pastor at Calvary Church in Charlotte, NC, served as Bible teacher from August 2013 through August of 2014. Currently, Warren Wiersbe serves as Interim Bible Teacher.
Among the more than 50 books Woodrow Kroll has written on the Bible and Christian living are:
- Facing Your Final Job Review: The Judgment Seat of Christ, Salvation, and Eternal Rewards. Crossway Books. 2008. ISBN 978-1-58134-973-3.
- Taking Back the Good Book: How America Forgot the Bible and Why It Matters to You. Crossway Books. 2007. ISBN 978-1-58134-826-2.
- Ephesians: Life in God's Family. Crossway Books. 2007. ISBN 978-1-58134-881-1.
- Proverbs: The Pursuit of God's Wisdom. Crossway Books. 2007. ISBN 978-1-58134-879-8.
- John: Face-to-Face with Jesus. Crossway Books. 2007. ISBN 978-1-58134-880-4.
- Places in the Bible: Encounter 125 Cities, Villages, and 'Ordinary' Places. J. Countryman. 2005. ISBN 1-4041-0174-8.
- People in the Bible: Encounter 125 Heroes, Villains & 'Ordinary' Souls. J. Countryman. 2004. ISBN 1-4041-0145-4.
- An Interview with God. Moody Publishers. 2004. ISBN 0-8024-1622-5.
- How to Find God in the Bible. Multnomah Publishers. 2004. ISBN 1-59052-256-7.
- The Vanishing Ministry in the 21st Century: Calling a New Generation to Lifetime Service. Kregel. 2002. ISBN 0-8254-3063-1.
- Read your Bible One Book at a Time: A Refreshing Way to Read God's Word with New Insight and Meaning. Regal Books. 2002. ISBN 0-8307-3478-3.
- Building a Godly Home: God's Blueprint for Men. Back to the Bible. 2001. ISBN 0-8474-1461-2. (Formerly: Is There a Man in the House?)
- Surviving the Prodigals in your Life: Stories of Courage and Hope. Back to the Bible. 2001. ISBN 0-8474-1280-6.
- 7 Secrets to Spiritual Success. Multnomah Publishers. 2000. ISBN 1-57673-664-4.
- FaithWalk: A Daily Journey Through the Bible. Back to the Bible. 2000. ISBN 0-8474-0702-0.
- Hope Grows in Winter: Inspiring Real-Life Stories of How Hope Changes Lives. Kregel Publications. 2000. ISBN 0-8254-3062-3.
- Prime of Your Life: A Guide for Fifty and Beyond. Fleming H. Revell. 1999. ISBN 0-8007-5704-1.
- Jesus Shall Reign: Revelation Simply Explained. Ambassador. 1998. ISBN 1-84030-020-5.
- The I AM God. Back to the Bible. 1998. ISBN 0-8474-1471-X.
- Ten Pearls of Wisdom from Ecclesiastes. Back to the Bible. 1998. ISBN 0-8474-0695-4.
- Little People, Big God. Back to the Bible. 1998. ISBN 0-8474-1472-8.
- When God Doesn't Answer: Removing Roadblocks to Answered Prayer. Baker Books. 1997. ISBN 0-8010-5726-4.
- Proverbs: God's Guide for Life's Choices. Back to the Bible. 1996. ISBN 0-8474-1467-1.
- Struggling with Selfishness: Choosing to Look Beyond Yourself to the Heart of the Master. Back to the Bible. 1996. ISBN 0-8474-1470-1.
- The Joy of Belonging: Discovering Who You Are in Christ. Back to the Bible. 1996. ISBN 0-8474-1468-X.
- Prodigal People: Coming Home to Right Relationships. Kregel Publications. 1995. ISBN 0-8254-3050-X.
- Empowered to Pray: Ten Great Prayers of the Bible Reveal the Secrets of Praying With Power. Baker Books. 1995. ISBN 0-8010-5233-5.
- Journey Into Life: A Study on Romans. Back to the Bible. 1995. ISBN 0-8474-1465-5.
- The Twelve Voices of Easter. Back to the Bible. 1995. ISBN 0-8474-1460-4.
- The Twelve Voices of Christmas. Back to the Bible. 1995. ISBN 0-8474-1457-4.
- Early in the Morning: Devotions for Early Risers. Loizeaux Bros. 1994. ISBN 0-87213-476-8.
- Bible Country: A Journey Through the Holy Land. Back to the Bible. 1992. ISBN 0-8474-1455-8.
- Tested by Fire. Loizeaux Bros. 1991. ISBN 0-87213-475-X. (Formerly: It Will Be Worth It All)
- Prescription for Preaching. Baker Book House. 1980. ISBN 0-8010-5409-5.
- Revelation Made Plain. Christian Jew Foundation. 1974. ASIN B00071UU70.
- Balmer, Randall (2001-02-19). "The Wireless Gospel". Christianity Today. Retrieved 2007-12-18.
- Floyd Hays Barackman (2005). History of Practical Bible Training School: Davis College.
- "President's Page". Back to the Bible. 2008. Retrieved 2008-04-10.