|Genre(s)||Medieval fantasy RP MUD|
Xyllomer is a MUD, a text-based online role-playing game, founded in 1991 as PaderMUD (after the University of Paderborn, where it was hosted). It was the first publicly accessible MUD to use Dworkin's Game Driver. It has been hosted in Germany throughout its history.
Xyllomer's setting is medieval fantasy in theme. Roleplaying is enforced, with strict penalties for improper out-of-character behavior, including conducting out-of-character communication through in-character channels. Game mechanics are hidden behind abstractions so as to enhance immersiveness.
Xyllomer supports a
gameinfo command at its initial login screen to help new players orient themselves.
In 1995, PaderMUD changed its named to Xyllomer.
In 1996, Xyllomer moved to its own dedicated server, which has been funded by the players through donations. Previously, it had been hosted on a server owned by the University of Paderborn.
In 2004, Xyllomer's login screen was quoted as an example of civic-minded warnings issued to players regarding the time-consuming nature of MUDs.
- Busey, Andrew (1995). Secrets of the MUD Wizards. SAMS Publishing. p. 456. ISBN 0-672-30723-5. "PaderMUD MUD IP Name Address: mud.uni-paderborn.de [...] MUD Type: DGD (LPMUD)"
- "Xyllomer: The Mud Concept". Xyllomer. Retrieved 2010-04-27.
- "Gameplay Information". Xyllomer. Retrieved 2010-04-27.
- Batinic, Bernad; Reips, Ulf-Dietrich; Bosnjak, Michael (2002-06-15). Online Social Sciences. Hogrefe & Huber Publishing. p. 276. ISBN 0-88937-257-8. "[...] is so strongly stressed that private conversations have to be transferred into special out-of-character channels (see for example http://www.xyllomer.de:80/l_guide.html#part3)."
- Janus, Ulrich; Janus, Ludwig. Abenteuer in anderen Welten [Adventures in Other Worlds] (in German). Psychosozial Verlag. pp. 167, 168. ISBN 3-89806-737-8. "[pp. 167] Damit das Rollenspiel nicht durch technische Details gestört wird, bleiben in Xyllomer die Zahlenwerte für Erfahrungspunkte und Eigenschaften des Spielers so weit wie möglich hinter Umschreibungen verborgen. [pp. 168] Auch Xyllomer lebt daher von der technischen Weiterentwicklung durch die Wizards und von der zahlreichen Anwesenheit seiner Spieler. [ [pp. 167] So that technical details do not interfere with roleplay, in Xyllomer the numerical values for experience points and the character's statistics are hidden behind abstractions as much as possible. [pp. 168] And Xyllomer lives on because of the technical development of the Wizards and the presence of its many players.]"
- Hoffman, Allan (1995). 50 Fun Ways to Internet. Book-mart Press. p. 116. ISBN 1-56414-176-4. "If you have trouble connecting to Muddy Waters, or if you want to explore another MUD, try PaderMUD at either mud.uni-paderborn.de 3000 or padermud.uni-paderborn.de 3000. Like Muddy Waters, PaderMUD allows you to login with the name gameinfo to get yourself oriented."
- "The History of this world". Xyllomer. April 2001. Retrieved 2010-04-27.
- Reese, George (1996-03-11). "LPMud Timeline". Retrieved 2010-04-14. "December 1993 ¶ PaderMUD re-opens after having converted from CD to DGD, making PaderMUD the first production MUD using DGD."
- Reese, George (1996-03-11). "LPMud Timeline". Retrieved 2010-04-14. "August 1995 ¶ PaderMUD changes its name to Xyllomer."
- Wolf, Dominik (2004). Der einsame Spieler: Vereinsamung durch Internetspiele [The Lone Gamer: Isolation by Internet Games] (in German). GRIN Verlag. p. 21. ISBN 978-3-638-68413-2. "Bei einigen MUDs erscheinen sogar Warnhinweise auf dem Bildschirm, bevor man sich einloggen kann, wie hierzu sehen bei dem MUD Xyllomer: "This might become a very time-consuming system if you start to use it, it might take effect on your real-life, especially on your studies! Consider this before you start spending your time here!" [In some MUDs, warnings even appear on the screen before you can log in, as seen in the MUD Xyllomer: "This might become a very time-consuming system if you start to use it, it might take effect on your real-life, especially on your studies! Consider this before you start spending your time here!"]"