|Born||Greg Gomez Pead
27 July 1953
Cardiff, New South Wales, Australia
|Occupation||Actor, director, composer|
|Spouse(s)||Lulu Serious (c. 1988–2007)|
Yahoo Serious (born 27 July 1953), born Greg Pead (name-change by deed poll in 1980), is an Australian film actor, director and score composer. He is best known for his 1988 comedy Young Einstein. He also created Reckless Kelly in 1993 and Mr. Accident in 2000. Serious writes, directs, produces, stars in, and has composed the scores for his movies.
Early life and career
Yahoo Serious was born in Cardiff, City of Lake Macquarie in the Hunter Region, New South Wales, Australia. He went to Glendale East Public School and Cardiff High School, then worked as a tyre fitter to pay for his tuition at the National Art School in Sydney. After being expelled, Serious co-wrote, co-produced, and directed his first film at age 21, a documentary called Coaltown which explored the social and political history of coal mining. The following year, his television series Lifestyle won the Australian Penguin Award for Best Educational Documentary.
In 1988, Serious co-wrote, produced, and directed Young Einstein, an intentionally inaccurate movie portraying Albert Einstein as a young farmer in Tasmania who derives the formula E=mc² while trying to discover a means of creating beer bubbles, splitting the lager atom in the process. After leaving the apple isle for Sydney on the mainland to patent his discovery, he goes on to develop rock music and surfing, romances Marie Curie, and saves Paris from an atomic bomb. The films popularity propelled Serious to stardom.
In 1993, Serious released his next film, Reckless Kelly, a satire about a modern descendant of the notorious Australian bank robber Ned Kelly who also becomes a movie star in Hollywood. While Reckless Kelly was a hit in Australia, it failed outside of the country and ended Serious's bid for mainstream international popularity. In 2000, Yahoo Serious released his third film Mr. Accident, about the most accident-prone man in the world. Like Reckless Kelly, the film was not a commercial success.
Serious is currently working on a film "Cookies from Outer Space" with Australian comedian Rove McManus
Lawsuit against Yahoo!
In August 2000, Yahoo Serious tried to sue the search engine Yahoo! for trademark infringement. The case was thrown out because Serious could not prove that he sells products or services under the name "Yahoo" and therefore could not prove that he suffered harm or confusion due to the search engine.
- Young Einstein (1988) - Actor, director, writer and producer
- Reckless Kelly (1993) - Actor, director, writer and producer
- Mr. Accident (2000) - Actor, director, writer and producer
- Cinema 3 - (1990) - TV series, 1 episode
- Waltzing Matilda: The Song That Shaped a Nation (1995) - Documentary
- In the Cannes (2007) - Short documentary film
- Yahoo (Gulliver's Travels) - the origin of the term
- Roundheads and Pointheads - a musical play by Bertolt Brecht and Hanns Eisler which takes place in the fictional land of "Yahoo"
- Austen Tayshus
- Forsberg, Myra (30 July 1989). "FILM; The Name's Serious. Yahoo Serious". New York Times. Retrieved 9 March 2014.
- Dale, David; Molitoisz, Sacha (19 April 1996). News And Features Stay In Touch. "Stay in Touch". Sydney Morning Herald. p. 24. Retrieved 30 August 2010.
- "Forgotten Aussie Stars: Where Are They Now". au.thehype.yahoo.com. December 16, 2013. Retrieved May 28, 2014.
- "Board of Directors". The Kokoda Track Foundation. The Kokoda Track Foundation. Retrieved 1 June 2014.
- Reines, Ros (20 May 2007). Features. "Serious problems for Yahoo and Lulu". Sunday Telegraph. p. 126. Retrieved 30 August 2010.
- Morris, Rachel. "Yahoo is really serious - Actor sues internet company over name" The Daily Telegraph (Sydney) 22 September 2001, Local Section, pg. 10