|Date of birth||13 March 1949|
|Place of birth||Jerusalem, Israel|
|Faction represented in Knesset|
Ze'ev Bielski (Hebrew: זאב בילסקי, born 13 March 1949) is an Israeli politician who served as a member of the Knesset for Kadima between 2009 and 2013. He previously chaired the Jewish Agency and the World Zionist Organization. as well as working as a Jewish Agency emissary in South Africa, a player in the Israeli national basketball league, a founder of the Israel Forum, and the mayor of Ra'anana.
Between 1977 and 1980 he was the leading Jewish Agency emissary in South Africa. In 1989, after coming back to Israel, he became the Mayor of Ra'anana. During his mayorship, he also served as the Deputy Chairman of the Union of Local Authorities in Israel between 1996 and 1999, and as the National Chairman of the anti-drug organization, "Al-Sam" from 1994 to 1996.
On 23 June 2005 he was elected a member of the World Zionist Organization Council as a member of Herut - The National Movement. On 28 June he succeeded Salai Meridor as the chairman of the Jewish Agency. His candidacy for this position was supported by Ariel Sharon.
Ze'ev Bielski is married to Caron Sacks (sister of art collector Leslie Sacks; and sister of American businessman Rodney Sacks), whom he met in South Africa. They have 3 children, 2 girls (Adi and Tali) and a boy (Eran).
Bielski told the The Jerusalem Post that Jews in America have no future in America. Due to the size of America he believes assimilation is inevitable, and all Jews in America should move to Israel.
- Kraft, Dina (28 June 2005). "Bielski Named Jewish Agency Head, Vows To Be Worldwide Emissary". United Jewish Communities. Retrieved 2008-06-29.
- "Victor Yushchenko meets with Ze'ev Bielski" (Press release). Press office of President Victor Yushchenko. 2008. Retrieved 2008-06-29.
- JAFI Profiles: Zeev Bielski Jewish Agency for Israel
- Far-right faction elevates Bielski to spot on WZO Executive Jewish Agency
- 'Our job is to live here' The Jerusalem Report, 25 July 2005
- Kadima list Knesset website (Hebrew)
- One Long House: Wolfe Sacks retrieved April 29, 2015
- Jerusalem Post: "Grapevine: US politicians flock to visit - Sculpture garden dedicated at Ariel University Center, and youth essay contest launched" By GREER FAY CASHMAN August 25, 2009 | "The garden was donated by Bielski's brother-in-law Leslie Sacks of Los Angeles in memory of his father Wolfe (Harry) Zev Sacks. Leslie Sacks, his mother, sister Caron and other family members..."
- 'US Jews have future, present and past' The Jerusalem Post
Find more about
at Wikipedia's sister projects
|Media from Commons|