The Österreichische Bundes- und Industriebeteiligungen GmbH (English: Austrian State and Industrial Holding Ltd) or short ÖBIB, is a state holding company that can be characterized as a National Wealth Fund. It administers the investments of the Republic of Austria in partially or entirely nationalized companies. It is headquartered in Vienna.
In 1967 the Österreichische Industrieverwaltungs-GmbH (Austrian industry administration GmbH) was established to centralize the administration of the interests in nationalized companies. It was transformed to the Österreichische Industrieverwaltungs-AG (Austrian industry administration AG) in 1970 and at the same instant got assigned the shares of the nationalized companies. Since 1986 it bears its current name. The ÖIAG and the companies it owned formed a group, the Austrian Industries AG until 1993 when this group was split and the ÖIAG was instructed to privatize the companies it owned.
In 2015, the Austrian state holding ÖIAG was turned into a limited liability company (GesmbH) called Österreichische Bundes- und Industriebeteiligungsholding (ÖBIB), which is permitted to make new acquisitions and which will report directly to the Finance Ministry.
The ÖBIB holds shares in:
- 31.50% of the Oil producer OMV
- 28.42% of the Telekom Austria
- 52.85% of the Österreichische Post
- 33.20% of the Casinos Austria
- 29.95% of the APK Pensionskasse, an Austrian pension fund
- 100% of the IMIB, an real estate and industry holding
- 100.00% of the GKB Bergbau GmbH, a mining holding
- 100.00% of the Finanzmarkt Beteiligungs AG (FIMBAG)
- 100% of the Schoeller-Bleckmann steel mill
Severe protests from politicians, unions and workers' councils were the results of the privatisation of some of the ÖBIB’s former investments. Former investments were:
- Austrian Airlines
- SGP Verkehrstechnik
- Austria Mikro Systeme International AG
- Austria Technologie & Systemtechnik AG (AT & S)
- Berndorf (1957 merged with AMAG, in 1984 split again)
- Austria Metall AG (AMAG)
- Österreichische Salinen
- Austria Tabak AG
- The auction house Dorotheum
- Österreichische Staatsdruckerei (federal printing plant)
- Flughafen Wien AG (Vienna International Airport)
- Siemens AG Österreich
- VA Technologie AG (VA Tech)
- "About ÖBIB (German)." Österreichische Bundes- und Industriebeteiligungen GmbH. Retrieved on 26 April 2015.
- "Austria tightens hold over partly state-owned companies." Reuters. Retrieved on 26 April 2015.