13th ECO Summit
|2017 ECO Summit|
|Date||27 February – 1 March 2017|
|Motto||Connectivity for Regional Prosperity|
|Venue(s)||Jinnah Convention Centre, Islamabad Serena Hotel|
The Summit was preceded by the 22nd Meeting of the ECO Council of Foreign Ministers (COM) on 28 February 2017 in Islamabad. Senior Officials from Member States met on 27 February 2017 in Islamabad and stayed for the duration of the summit.
The summit highlighted the state of affairs of ECO in the light of the new and emerging global and regional circumstances and agreed on expanding regional economic cooperation among its member states. The new ECO Vision 2025 was expanded upon and several key guidelines have been taken into account. Pakistan plans to integrate the ECO Summit members with the China–Pakistan Economic Corridor.
According to The News International, Islamabad intends to use the five-billion rupees worth of resources initially allocated for 19th SAARC summit, will be used for ECO Summit. Prime Minister Sharif will also host an informal dinner in the honour of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and his wife Emine Erdoğan at the Prime Ministers House.
On February 27, 2017, Pakistan's Ministry of Interior drafted a comprehensive security plan for the summit. Under the plan, local holiday was declared in the Islamabad-Rawalpindi metropolitan area on March 1 while on February 28, after 1 pm, educational institutions and offices were to be closed. Kashmir Highway will also be partially closed during the summit. The army was given responsibility for the security of the Red Zone within the city.
|Delegation Head||Delegation Country|
|Recep Tayyip Erdoğan||Turkey|
|Heads of States are in Bold|
- "13th ECO Summit in Islamabad".
- "Ministry of Foreign Affairs - Islamabad, Pakistan". www.mofa.gov.pk. Retrieved 2017-02-28.
- "13th ECO Summit begins in Islamabad". Anadolu Agency. Retrieved 2017-02-28.
- "Five presidents, three PMs to participate in ECO summit". www.thenews.com.pk. Retrieved 2017-02-28.
- "Nisar approves ECO summit security plan | SAMAA TV". Samaa TV. Retrieved 2017-02-28.
- "Afghan president won't attend ECO summit: Aizaz". The Nation. Retrieved 2017-02-28.
- "No top representation from Kabul in summit". DAWN.COM. 2017-02-28. Retrieved 2017-02-28.
- "Iranian President Rouhani to visit Pakistan for ECO Summit | Business Recorder". Retrieved 2017-02-28.