1600s BC (decade)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from 1609–1600 BC)
|This article does not cite any references (sources). (March 2007)|
|Millennium:||2nd millennium BC|
|Centuries:||18th century BC – 17th century BC – 16th century BC|
|Decades:||1630s BC 1620s BC 1610s BC – 1600s BC – 1590s BC 1580s BC 1570s BC|
|Years:||1609 BC 1608 BC 1607 BC 1606 BC 1605 BC 1604 BC 1603 BC 1602 BC 1601 BC 1600 BC|
Events and trends
- Egypt—End of Fourteenth Dynasty.
- The creation of one of the oldest surviving astronomical documents, a copy of which was found in the Babylonian library of Ashurbanipal: a 21-year record of the appearances of Venus (which the early Babylonians called Nindaranna).
- The end of the Indus Valley civilization.
- The overthrow of the ruling Amorite dynasty in Aleppo, Syria.
- The date of the earliest discovered rubber balls.
- Egypt conquered by Asian tribes known as the Hyksos—see History of ancient Israel and Judah.
- 1600 BC—Shang Dynasty instituted in China.
- 1600 BC—Tumulus culture started.
- c. 1600 BC—Nebra skydisk created in what is now Germany.
- c. 1600 BC—The foundations of the Olmec civilization in Southern Mexico.
- c. 1600 BC—Cycladic civilization ends.
- c. 1600 BC–1550 BC—"Mask of Agamemnon" Funerary mask, from the royal tombs at Mycenae, Greece, is made. Grave Circle A. It is now at National Archaeological Museum of Athens.
- c. 1600 BC–1200 BC—Hittite (Anatolia) iron tools and weapons.
- c. 1600 BC – 1200 BC—Tiryns, Ancient Greece, is inhabited.
- c. 1600 BC – Kings and princes on the mainland Greece have begun building large aboveground burial places commonly referred to as beehive tombs because of their rounded, conical shape.
- c. 1600 BC—Hittites establish capital at Hattushash (near modern Boghazkeui, Turkey).