16th Avenue Bailey Bridge
|16th Avenue Bailey Bridge|
|Carries||single lane of traffic on Sewells Road|
|Crosses||Little Rouge Creek|
|Locale||Markham, Ontario, Canada|
|Maintained by||York Region Roads|
|Design||Single-lane wood decked bailey bridge|
|Total length||21.3 metres (70 ft)|
Old (16th Avenue) Bailey Bridge was a bailey bridge located on 16th Avenue (York Regional Road 73) east of Reesor Road within Rouge Park in Markham, Ontario, Canada. The bridge crossed the Little Rouge Creek, a tributary of the Rouge River.
An assessment by York Region and Toronto and Region Conservation Authority in 2007 suggested the bridge be removed when the road was realigned and widened, though still noted that it "is of heritage interest", although it was, at the time, not listed in the Markham Heritage Inventory. In a 2010 report from the Transportation Services Committee to the Regional Council, Rouge Park management indicated their desire to maintain the bailey bridge for pedestrian use. In mid-2011, the Toronto and Region Conservation Authority accepted the proposal to save the bridge for use in a future trail, after 16th Avenue was realigned and widened to eliminate the jog at Reesor Road.
By 2014, the realignment was complete and the bridge had been replaced.
Other bailey bridges in and around this one:
- Lake Shore Boulevard Bailey Bridge - pedestrian overpass
- Old Finch Avenue Bailey Bridge - vehicular bridge
- Jordan Bailey Bridge (21st Street), Jordan, Ontario
- Princess Point Bailey Bridge, Hamilton, Ontario
- Yonge Street Bailey Bridge - temporary bridge built to replace steel truss bridge washed out during Hurricane Hazel south of York Mills Road from 1954 to 1955
- Unwin Avenue Bridge, Toronto - vehicular traffic
Other major bridges in Markham:
- Warden Avenue Berczy Creek North Bridge: built during widening of Warden between Highway 7 and 16th Avenue
- Warden Avenue Berczy Creek South Bridge: built during widening of Warden between Highway 7 and 16th Avenue
- Warden Avenue Carlton Creek Bridge: built during widening of Warden between Highway 7 and 16th Avenue
- Highway 7 East Beaver Creek Bridge: built during widening of Highway 7 for VivaNext busway
- Highway 7 Bullock Drive Bridge
- Highway 7 Roddick Road Bridge: built during widening of Highway 7 for VivaNext busway
- Highway 7 Brown's Corner Bridge (near Woodbine Avenue): built during widening of Highway 7 for VivaNext busway
- Birchmount Road Rouge River Bridge: built during extension of Birchmount from 14th Avenue to Highway 7
- Markham Road Rouge River Bridge: replacement and widening of road north of Highway 407 completed 2015
- Box Grove Bridge: over Rouge River completed 1991
- "Built Heritage and Cultural Landscape Assessment" (PDF). iTRANS Consulting.[dead link]
- "4 - Consultant selection for engineering services - 16th Avenue detailed design - Town of Markham (Request for proposal P-09-76)" (PDF). Report No. 1 of the Transportation Services Committee - Regional Council Meeting of January 21, 2010. Town of Markham. 2010-01-21. Archived from the original (PDF) on April 7, 2012. Retrieved 2012-02-01.
- "Cycling in Rouge Park". Rouge Valley Conservation Centre. Retrieved 2012-02-01.
- "Item EX7.4" (PDF). Executive Committee Meeting #4/11. Toronto and Region Conservation Authority. 2011-05-06. pp. 36–38. Retrieved 2012-02-01.