1972 U.S. Women's Open Golf Championship
|Dates||June 29 – July 2, 1972|
|Location||Mamaroneck, New York|
|Course(s)||Winged Foot Golf Club,
|Format||Stroke play – 72 holes|
|Length||6,226 yards (5,693 m)|
|Field||150 players, 53 after cut|
Susie Berning won the second of her three U.S. Women's Open titles, a stroke ahead of runners-up Kathy Ahern, Pam Barnett, and Judy Rankin. Berning opened with a 79 (+7) and started the final round at 228 (+12), four strokes behind 54-hole leader Barnett. Berning carded a one-under 71 for the third of her four major wins. Defending champion JoAnne Carner finished at 312 (+24), thirteen strokes back.
With a winner's share of $6,000, the 1972 edition was the first to exceed that of the inaugural championship in 1946, the only one conducted as a match play event. The course conditions at Winged Foot were soft, affected by the recent heavy rains of tropical storm Agnes, originally a hurricane. Two-time champion Louise Suggs made the cut at age 48.
Past champions in the field
|Player||Country||Year(s) won||R1||R2||R3||R4||Total||To par||Finish|
|Susie Berning||United States||1968||79||73||76||71||299||+11||1|
|Mickey Wright||United States||1958, 1959,
|Carol Mann||United States||1965||79||77||78||71||305||+17||T9|
|Kathy Cornelius||United States||1956||74||80||75||79||308||+20||T19|
|Betsy Rawls||United States||1951, 1953,
|Donna Caponi Young||United States||1969, 1970||80||75||75||79||309||+21||T25|
|JoAnne Carner||United States||1971||79||79||75||79||312||+24||T29|
|Mary Mills||United States||1963||80||78||78||76||312||+24||T29|
|Murle Breer||United States||1962||83||76||82||74||315||+27||T34|
|Louise Suggs||United States||1949, 1952||78||80||82||76||316||+28||39|
Sunday, July 2, 1972
|Place||Player||Country||Score||To par||Money ($)|
|1||Susie Berning||United States||79-73-76-71=299||+11||6,000|
|T2||Kathy Ahern||United States||74-80-76-70=300||+12||2,200|
|Pam Barnett||United States||73-76-75-76=300|
|Judy Rankin||United States||76-75-76-73=300|
|5||Betty Burfeindt||United States||75-78-74-75=302||+14||1,500|
|T6||Jane Booth (a)||United States||79-75-78-72=304||+16||0|
|Gloria Ehret||United States||74-74-80-76=304||1,350|
|Mickey Wright||United States||77-80-76-71=304|
|Carol Mann||United States||79-77-78-71=305|
|Carol Semple Thompson (a)||United States||79-79-74-73=305||0|
- "Surprising Shirley tops women's golf". Spokesman-Review. Associated Press. June 30, 1972. p. 23.
- "Pam Barnett's 75 takes Open lead". Spokesman-Review. Associated Press. July 2, 1972. p. 1, sports.
- "Finishing 71 brings victory to Susie Maxwell Berning". Spokesman-Review. Associated Press. July 3, 1972. p. 10.
- "Marriage great for new champ of Women's Open". The Bulletin (Bend, Oregon). UPI. July 3, 1972. p. 6.
- "Englehorn stays in front, but her lead falls to one". Eugene Register-Guard. Associated Press. July 1, 1972. p. 5B.
- Golf Observer final leaderboard
- U.S. Women's Open Golf Championship
- U.S. Women's Open – past champions – 1972