1992 NCAA Division I Men's Ice Hockey Tournament
|Champions||Lake Superior State (2nd title)|
(Wisconsin vacated) (- title game)
|Winning coach||Jeff Jackson (1st title)|
|MOP||Paul Constantin Lake Superior State|
The 1992 NCAA Men's Division I Ice Hockey Tournament involved 12 schools competing to determine the national champion of men's NCAA Division I college ice hockey. Beginning with the 1992 tournament the format was changed to single-elimination play for all rounds of the tournament. First and quarterfinal rounds were played at two predetermined sites as the East and West Regionals. The tournament began on March 26, 1992, and ended with the championship game on April 4 in which Lake Superior State defeated the University of Wisconsin 5-3. A total of 11 games were played. Wisconsin's participation in the tournament was vacated by the NCAA Committee on Infractions.
As of 2016, Alaska-Anchorage's 1992 participation is the last by an independent school.
- 1 Qualifying teams
- 2 Game locations
- 3 Tournament Bracket
- 4 Regional Quarterfinals
- 5 Regional Semifinals
- 6 Frozen Four
- 7 All-Tournament Team
- 8 Record by conference
- 9 References
- 10 External links
The at-large bids and seeding for each team in the tournament were announced after the conference tournaments concluded. The Central Collegiate Hockey Association (CCHA), Hockey East and Western Collegiate Hockey Association (WCHA) all had three teams receive a berth in the tournament, the ECAC had two berths, and there was one independent Division I bid.
|East Regional – Providence||West Regional – Detroit|
|Seed||School||Conference||Record||Berth type||Appearance||Last bid||Seed||School||Conference||Record||Berth type||Appearance||Last bid|
|1||Maine||Hockey East||31–3–2*||Tournament champion||6th||1991||1||Michigan||CCHA||31–8–3||At-large bid||15th||1991|
|2||St. Lawrence||ECAC||22–9–2||Tournament champion||12th||1989||2||Minnesota||WCHA||33–10–0||At-large bid||19th||1991|
|3||New Hampshire||Hockey East||22–12–2^||At-large bid||5th||1983||3||Lake Superior State||CCHA||26–9–4||Tournament champion||6th||1991|
|4||Boston University||Hockey East||22–8–4^||At-large bid||18th||1991||4||Northern Michigan||WCHA||24–13–3||Tournament champion||5th||1991|
|5||Michigan State||CCHA||23–10–8^||At-large bid||13th||1990||5||Clarkson||ECAC||22–9–1||At-large bid||12th||1991|
|6||Wisconsin (vacated)||WCHA||24–13–2||At-large bid||(13th,
* Maine was required to forfeit 13 victories after the season concluded, their total here was their record at the time of the start of the tournament.
^ These teams records reflect the losses they had against Maine at the time that were later overturned.
- East Regional – Providence Civic Center, Providence, Rhode Island
- West Regional – Joe Louis Arena, Detroit
- Frozen Four – Knickerbocker Arena, Albany, New York
Wisconsin's participation in the 1992 tournament was later vacated by the NCAA Committee on Infractions.
|W3||Lake Superior State||4|
|W3||Lake Superior State||8|
|W3||Lake Superior State||7|
|W3||Lake Superior State||5|
Note: * denotes overtime period(s)
(3) New Hampshire vs. (6) Wisconsin
|March 26||New Hampshire||2 – 4||Wisconsin||Providence Civic Center|
(4) Boston University vs. (5) Michigan State
|March 26||Boston University||2 – 4||Michigan State||Providence Civic Center|
(3) Lake Superior State vs. (6) Alaska-Anchorage
|March 27||Lake Superior State||7 – 3||Alaska-Anchorage||Joe Louis Arena|
(4) Northern Michigan vs. (5) Clarkson
|March 27||Northern Michigan||8 – 4||Clarkson||Joe Louis Arena|
(1) Maine vs. (5) Michigan State
|March 28||Maine||2 – 3||Michigan State||Providence Civic Center|
(2) St. Lawrence vs. (6) Wisconsin
|March 28||St. Lawrence||2 – 5||Wisconsin||Providence Civic Center|
(1) Michigan vs. (4) Northern Michigan
|March 29||Michigan||7 – 6||Northern Michigan||Joe Louis Arena|
(2) Minnesota vs. (3) Lake Superior State
|March 29||Minnesota||3 – 8||Lake Superior State||Joe Louis Arena|
(E5) Michigan State vs. (W3) Lake Superior State
|April 2||Michigan State||2 – 4||Lake Superior State||Knickerbocker Arena|
(E6) Wisconsin vs. (W1) Michigan
|April 2||Wisconsin||4 – 2||Michigan||Knickerbocker Arena|
(E6) Wisconsin vs. (W3) Lake Superior State
|April 4||Wisconsin||3 – 5||Lake Superior State||Knickerbocker Arena|
- G: Darrin Madeley (Lake Superior State)
- D: Mark Astley (Lake Superior State)
- D: vacated†
- F: Paul Constantin* (Lake Superior State)
- F: Brian Rolston (Lake Superior State)
- F: vacated†
Record by conference
|Conference||# of Bids||Record||Win %||Regional Semifinals||Frozen Four||Championship Game||Champions|
- "Division I Men's Ice Hockey Championship History". NCAA. Retrieved 2015-03-28.
- "Tournament History" (PDF). Archived (PDF) from the original on 2013-07-02. Retrieved 2013-07-03.
- "NCAA Division 1 Tournament". College Hockey Historical Archives. Archived from the original on 2013-06-21. Retrieved 2013-06-19.
- "NCAA Frozen Four Records" (PDF). NCAA.org. Archived (PDF) from the original on 2013-06-22. Retrieved 2013-06-19.
- "NCAA Division I Awards". College Hockey Historical Archives. Retrieved 2013-07-17.