1 Assault Group Royal Marines
|1 Assault Group Royal Marines|
Cap Badge of the Royal Marines
|Active||2001 - Present|
|Role||Rapid reaction force/Home defence|
|Part of||Royal Marines|
|Nickname(s)||The Royals, HM Jollies, Bootnecks, The Royal Machines|
|Motto(s)||Per Mare Per Terram (By Sea By Land) (Latin)|
|March||Quick - A Life on the Ocean Wave|
Slow - n/a
|Current Commander||Colonel Graeme Armour|
|Captain-General||HRH The Duke of Sussex|
1 Assault Group Royal Marines (1AGRM) provides the Royal Marines expertise and training in small boat operations, both amphibious and riverine. In addition, it trains and parents the Assault Squadrons of the Royal Marines (ASRM) and their landing craft detachments. It is based at RM Tamar in HMNB Devonport, Plymouth.
Training is delivered at three sites:
- 10 (Landing Craft) Training Squadron at RM Tamar.
- 11 Amphibious Trials and Training Unit Royal Marines (ATTURM) based at Instow in North Devon.
- Royal Navy Board and Search School, HMS Raleigh.
Operations are delivered by the following units:
- 4 Assault Squadron Royal Marines providing landing craft support to HMS Bulwark.
- 6 Assault Squadron Royal Marines providing landing craft support to HMS Albion.
- 9 Assault Squadron Royal Marines providing landing craft support to HMS Ocean.
- 539 Assault Squadron Royal Marines is 3 Commando Brigade's integrated landing craft unit.
10 Landing Craft Training Squadron provide training accredited by the Royal Yachting Association for candidates to the landing craft specialisation. This training is delivered at various stages in the individual's career:
- LC3 at entry to the specialisation as a Marine.
- LC2 at promotion to Corporal.
- LC1 at promotion to Sergeant.
- "1 Assault Group Royal Marines". Royal Navy. Retrieved 27 November 2016.
- "Royal Marines History" (PDF). Marine Society and Sea Cadet Marine Cadet Section. p. 42. Retrieved 27 November 2016.
- "Harry's heroes: Prince opens Royal Marines' new £30m amphibious complex in Plymouth". Navy News. 2 August 2013. Retrieved 16 May 2014.
- "RM Tamar". Royal Navy. Retrieved 27 November 2016.
- "Historic move of amphibious Royal Marines landing craft". Royal Navy. 26 July 2013. Retrieved 16 May 2014.
- "New board and search facility at HMS Raleigh". Royal Navy. 17 June 2014. Retrieved 27 November 2016.
- "1 Assault Group Royal Marines (1 AGRM)". Elite UK Forces. Retrieved 27 November 2016.
- "The Military Balance 2012", International Institute for Strategic Studies, pp. 170-171
- The Royal Navy Handbook (2003), Conway Maritime Press.
- Jim Dorschner (27 May 2009). "Special Delivery". Jane's Defence Weekly. 46 (21): 28.
- Bush, Steve (2014). British Warships and Auxiliaries. Maritime Books. pp. 35–39. ISBN 1904459552.
- "Landing Craft (LC)" (PDF). Royal Navy. p. 46. Archived from the original (PDF) on 28 November 2016. Retrieved 27 November 2016.