2008 Women's College World Series
The 2008 Women's College World Series was held May 29 through June 4, 2008 in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. Eight NCAA Division I college softball teams met after having advanced through a 64-team bracket to play at ASA Hall of Fame Stadium. The official host for the event was the University of Oklahoma.
- 1 Participants
- 2 Tournament Notes
- 3 Bracket
- 4 All Tournament Team
- 5 WCWS records tied or broken
- 6 WCWS Leaders
- 7 Post-Series Notes
- 8 The Tournament
- 9 See also
- 10 References
- 11 External links
|School||Conference||Record (Conference)||Head Coach||WCWS Appearances†
(including 2008 WCWS)
|WCWS Best Finish†||WCWS W-L Record†
(excluding 2008 WCWS)
|Alabama||SEC||56-5 (25-3)||Patrick Murphy||5
|Arizona||Pac-10||41-16 (13-8)||Larry Ray (acting coach)||20
(1991, 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2006, 2007)
|Arizona St.||Pac-10||61-5 (18-3)||Clint Myers||7
|Florida||SEC||67-3 (27-1)||Tim Walton||1||-||0-0|
|Louisiana-Lafayette||Sun Belt||51-12 (19-3)||Michael Lotief
|Texas A&M||Big 12||54-7 (17-1)||Jo Evans||7
|Virginia Tech||ACC||49-17 (16-5)||Scot Thomas||1||-||0-0|
|UCLA||Pac-10||48-6 (17-4)||Kelly Inouye-Perez||24
(1982, 1984, 1985, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1992, 1999, 2003, 2004)
† Excludes results of the pre-NCAA Women's College World Series of 1969 through 1981.
- Florida and Virginia Tech were the first teams in their respective school histories to reach the WCWS in the NCAA era.
2008 Women's College World Series bracket
|First round||Second round||Semifinals||Finals|
|May 29, 2008||Game 1||Louisiana-Lafayette||3-2||Florida||In 8th inn., ULL pitcher Ashley Brignac threw 21 straight pitches after reaching a count of 3 balls, 2 strikes before the batter was retired.|
|Game 2||Texas A&M||1-0||Virginia Tech||A throwing error allowed Texas A&M to score an unearned run in the 6th inning.|
|Game 3||Arizona State||3-1||Alabama||ASU erased a 0-1 deficit and scored 3 runs in the 7th inning.|
|Game 4||UCLA||1-0||Arizona||Two errors in the first inning helped UCLA score their only run.|
|May 30, 2008||Game 5||Texas A&M||2-1||Louisiana-Lafayette||Louisiana-Lafayette tied the game in the bottom of the 6th inning;
Texas A&M scored the winning run in the top of the 7th inning.
|Game 6||Arizona State||4-0||UCLA||Arizona State scored 2 runs in both 3rd and 5th innings;
UCLA had 4 hits and Arizona State had 3 hits.
|May 31, 2008||Game 7||Florida||2-0||Virginia Tech||VT eliminated in 9 innings; UF scored 2 runs in top of the 9th, VT pitcher Angela Tincher missed tying WCWS record for SO in extra-inning game by 1.|
|Game 8||Alabama||5-1||Arizona||Alabama scored 4 runs in the 6th inning to knock out 2-time defending champion Arizona.|
|Game 9||Florida||2-0||UCLA||Florida scored on a pitching error and an RBI single in the first and sixth inning, respectively, to eliminate UCLA. UCLA's class became the first in school history to not win a WCWS title.|
|Game 10||Alabama||3-1||Louisiana-Lafayette||Louisiana-Lafayette eliminated;
Alabama scored the winning runs in the 5th inning.
|June 1, 2008||Game 11||Florida||6-1||Texas A&M||Florida used 3 unearned runs in the 4th inning aided by a catcher's error to break a 1-1 tie and a 2-run HR extended the lead in the 7th inning.|
|Game 12||Arizona State||3-1||Alabama||ASU scored on a three-run home run. ASU advances to the National Championship series, and Alabama is eliminated.|
|Game 13||Texas A&M||1-0||Florida||Texas A&M advances to the National Championship series.
Macie Morrow scored on Kelsey Spittler's triple in the top of the 9th inning.
|June 2, 2008||Finals Game 1||Arizona State||3-0||Texas A&M||Arizona State had a run in the 1st, 3rd, and 5th innings.
Krista Donnenwirth hit a home run.
|June 3, 2008||Finals Game 2||Arizona State||11-0||Texas A&M||Arizona State scored 7 runs in the 7th inning to make the game an 11 run game, blanking the Aggies and taking home the national championship trophy.|
|Arizona State Sun Devils||Kaitlin Cochran (CF)||1-2 3RBIs HR 2BBs|
|Texas A&M Aggies||Megan Gibson (P)||1-2 2B BB SB|
|Arizona State Sun Devils||Katie Burkhart||7.0||4||0||0||1||13||25||26|
|Texas A&M Aggies||Megan Gibson||7.0||10||11||10||3||5||31||35|
All Tournament Team
The following players were members of the All-Tournament Team:
- Francesca Enea, Florida
- Charlotte Morgan, Alabama
- Stacey Nelson, Florida
- Holly Tankersley, La.-Lafayette
- Angela Tincher, Virginia Tech
- Megan Gibson, Texas A&M
- Jami Lobpries, Texas A&M
- Kaitlin Cochran, Arizona State
- Krista Donnenwirth, Arizona State
- Lesley Rogers, Arizona State
- Jackie Vasquez, Arizona State
- Katie Burkhart, Arizona State (Most Outstanding Player)
WCWS records tied or broken
- 6,240 Session 1 (Games 1 and 2) total attendance — WCWS record
- 8,230 Session 3 (Games 5 and 6) total attendance — WCWS record
- In Game 11, Florida left fielder Francesca Enea hit two home runs to allow her team to defeat Texas A&M 6–1. She tied the WCWS record for the most home runs in a game in the NCAA era that was set by UCLA's Yvonne Gutierrez in 1992 and tied by Arizona's Lindsey Collins in 1999 and UCLA's Andrea Harrison in 2010.
- Arizona State's 11-0 victory over Texas A&M was the largest margin of victory in a NCAA championship clinching game.
- At the conclusion of their run in the series, Florida compiled a 70–5 overall record, becoming the first NCAA team to record 70 wins.
- The 2008 WCWS marked the first time that Arizona did not return to the championship game/series while defending one of their eight national championships.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2010)|
- "Ragin' Cajuns stun top-seeded Florida 3-2".
- "Gators upset on eighth-inning homer".
- "Slip-up sinks Hokies".
- "Errant throw allows Texas A&M to edge Hokies".
- "Women's College World Series: Late Arizona State rally bedevils Tide".
- "ASU softball rallies to win opener".
- "Softball: Unusual call goes against Cats".
- "UCLA beats defending champion Arizona, 1-0".
- "Aggies take advantage of error again".
- "Cajuns stalled: UL drops game to Texas A&M".
- "Bruins' strategy backfires vs. Devils".
- "UCLA strategy thwarted".
- "Virginia Tech can't capitalize on error, loses to Florida in CWS".
- "Tincher ends career without title, but with lasting legacy".
- "Alabama Softball Defeats Arizona, 5-1".
- "'Bama bounces Arizona Wildcats from softball tournament".
- "Arizona, UCLA out of Women's College World Series".
- "WOMEN'S COLLEGE WORLD SERIES: Alabama advances to semifinals".
- "WCWS: Florida Forces If-Game, Defeats Texas A&M 6-1".
- "Tide run ends with 3-1 loss to Arizona State".
- "ASU softball advances to World Series final".
- "Women's College World Series Blog: Game 5 vs. Texas A&M".
- "Once unheralded recruit, Lobpries comes up big for Texas A&M".
- "Texas A&M falls to Arizona State 3-0 in softball World Series opener".
- "Freshman delivers in ASU victory".
- "Arizona State wins NCAA softball title in rout". Archived from the original on June 10, 2008.
- "Tincher named to WCWS All-Tournament Team".
- "UA softball team loses in 1st round of WCWS after delay".
- "WCWS Notebook: Getting 'Pearl'sonal".
- "Women's College World Series Notebook". 2008-06-02.
- Sun Devils - NCAA champs!
- Gators' NCAA run ends