2009 Australian Sports Sedan season
The 2009 Australian Sports Sedan season featured the 19th running of a national series for Sports Sedans in Australia. The series, officially known as the Kerrick Sports Sedan Series, began on 25 April 2009 at Wakefield Park and ended on 22 November at Phillip Island Grand Prix Circuit after fifteen races.
Chevrolet Corvette driver Des Wall was crowned series winner after a fiercely contested series between the top three competitors. Winners of the previous two series, Tony Ricciardello (Alfa Romeo Alfetta) and Darren Hossack (Audi A4), competed initially for the race wins, but mechanical unreliability and on-track confrontations, usually with each other, allowed Wall to close the gap. Wall only won three races (compared to Ricciardello's six and Hossack's five) but was only out of the top five race positions once all season; an eighth-placed finish at Oran Park. Ricciardello and Hossack each failed to finish two races during the season. Wall, who has been a Sports Sedan front runner since 1989, claimed his first series win with a twelve-point victory over Ricciardello. Hossack was third, nine points behind Ricciardello.
Teams and drivers
The following drivers competed in the 2009 Kerrick Sports Sedan Series. The series consisted of fifteen races, at five race meetings, held in three states.
Results and Standings
|Rd.||Race Title||Circuit||City / State||Date||Winner|
|1||Shannons Nationals R2||Wakefield Park||Goulburn, New South Wales||25 – 26 Apr||Tony Ricciardello|
|2||Clem Smith Trophy||Mallala Motor Sport Park||Adelaide, South Australia||6 – 7 Jun||Des Wall|
|3||Shannons Nationals R8||Oran Park Raceway||Sydney, New South Wales||29 – 30 Aug||Darren Hossack|
|4||Oran Park||Oran Park Raceway||Sydney, New South Wales||31 Oct – 1 Nov||Kerry Baily|
|5||50k Plate||Phillip Island Grand Prix Circuit||Phillip Island, Victoria||21 – 22 Nov||Tony Ricciardello|
Points were awarded 20-17-15-13-12-11-10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 based on the top sixteen race positions in each race. There were two bonus points allocated for pole position. Pole Position is indicated in bold text.
- Kerrick Sports Sedan Series, www.sportssedans.com.au Retrieved via web.archive.org on 28 July 2012
- "Title Unknown". Archived from the original on 20 June 2009. Retrieved 2009-04-27.
- "National Australian Sports Sedan Association Events". Kerrick Sports Sedan Series. Archived from the original on 20 June 2009. Retrieved 2009-04-16.
- "Wakefield Park Raceway 26/04/2009 2009 Shannons Nationals Motor Racing Championships Round 2". National Software. 26 April 2009. Archived from the original on 12 June 2009. Retrieved 2009-03-22.
- "Mallala Motorsport Park 07/06/2009 Shannons Nationals Motor Racing Championships – Round 4". National Software. 7 June 2009. Archived from the original on 5 September 2009. Retrieved 2 November 2009.
- "Oran Park Raceway 30/08/2009 Shannons Nationals 2009 – Round 8". National Software. 30 August 2009. Archived from the original on 6 September 2009. Retrieved 2009-08-31.
- "Oran Park Grand Prix Circuit 01/11/2009 Rnd 6, 2009 NSW Motor Race Championship – The Final Round". National Software. 1 November 2009. Retrieved 2009-11-02.
- "Phillip Island Grand Prix Circuit 22/11/2009 Island Magic 2009". National Software. 22 November 2009. Retrieved 2009-11-30.