2011 Preakness Stakes
|The Preakness Stakes|
"The Middle Jewel of the Triple Crown"
"The Run for the Black-Eyed Susans"
|Location||Pimlico Race Course,
|Date||May 21, 2011|
The 2011 Preakness Stakes was the 136th running of the Preakness Stakes and was won by Shackleford. The race took place on May 21, 2011, and was televised in the United States on the NBC television network. The post time was 6:18 p.m. EDT (10:18 p.m. UTC). The race was the 12th race on a card of 13 races. The Maryland Jockey Club reported total attendance of 118,356, this is recorded as second highest on the list of American thoroughbred racing top attended events for North America in 2011.
The 136th Preakness Stakes Payout Schedule
- $2 Exacta: (5-11) paid $114.10
- $1 Trifecta: (5-11-1) paid $700.90
- $1 Superfecta: (5-11-1-10) paid $3,106.30
The full chart
A full field of 14 was drawn for the race. Kentucky Derby winner Animal Kingdom was installed as the 2-1 early line favorite. Also close Derby finishers Mucho Macho Man and Shackleford entered the race while Nehro, the 2nd-place finisher opted not to contest in this race.
|Horse name||Trainer||Jockey||Owner||Morning Line
|1st||0||5||Shackleford||Dale Romans||Jesús Castañón||Michael Lauffer
& W. D. Cubbedge
|2nd||1⁄2||11||Animal Kingdom||H. Graham Motion||John R. Velazquez||Team Valor||2–1
|3rd||1 3⁄4||1||Astrology||Steve Asmussen||Mike E. Smith||Stonestreet Stables||15–1||15.50–1||$110,000|
|4th||41⁄4||10||Dialed In||Nicholas P. Zito||Julien Leparoux||Robert V. LaPuenta||9–2||4.40–1||$60,000|
|5th||61⁄4||8||Dance City||Todd Pletcher||Ramon Dominguez||Edward P. Evans||12–1||11.50–1||$30,000|
|6th||7 1⁄2||9||Mucho Macho Man||Kathy Ritvo||Rajiv Maragh||Reeves Thoroughbred Racing||6–1||5.20–1|
|7th||9||3||King Congie||Thomas Albertrani||Robby Albarado||West Point Thoroughbreds||20–1||21.90–1|
|8th||9 3⁄4||14||Mr. Commons||John Shirreffs||Victor Espinoza||St. George Farm||20–1||32.90–1|
|9th||111⁄4||12||Isn't He Perfect||Doodnauth Shivmangal||Edgar Prado||Kharag Stables||30–1||30.90–1|
|10th||12 1⁄2||13||Concealed Identity||Edmond Gaudet||Sheldon Russell||Linda Gaudet &
|11th||13 3⁄4||2||Norman Asbjornson||Chris Grove||Julian Pimental||Thomas McClay
& Harry Nye
|12th||15||6||Sway Away||Jeff Bonde||Garrett Gomez||Batman Stable||15–1||12.30–1|
|13th||221⁄4||7||Midnight Interlude||Bob Baffert||Martin Garcia||Arnold Zetcher||15–1||13.60–1|
|14th||22 1⁄2||4||Flashpoint||Wesley Ward||Cornelio Velasquez||Peachtree Stable||20–1||16.50–1|
- Winning Breeder: Michael Lauffer and W.D. Cubbedge; (KY)
- Final Time – 1:56:47
- Track Condition – Fast
- Total Attendance: 118,356
Shackleford held off a late charge by Animal Kingdom. Shackleford battled Flashpoint for the lead through a quick opening quarter-mile of 22.69 seconds, just a fifth of a second off the Preakness record.
- A $550,000 bonus was awarded to Shackleford's connections for his victory in the Preakness because of his participation in the Fountain of Youth Stakes and a top-three finish in the Florida Derby. His owners were awarded $500,000 while his trainer Dale Romans earned $50,000 in bonus money.
- First victory in a Triple Crown race for jockey Jesus Castanon and trainer Dale Romans
- Smith, Michael (May 21, 2011). "Preakness 2011: Animal Kingdom Seeks Second Leg In Triple Crown". SB Nation. Retrieved May 21, 2011.
- Rees, Jennie (May 18, 2011). "Preakness 2011: Animal Kingdom made the 2-1 favorite in 14-horse field". The Courier-Journal. Retrieved May 19, 2011.
- 2011 Preakness Stakes Media Guide; page 95 (page P-7 of The Preakness section). The Maryland Jockey Club reported official Total Attendance as 118,356. This is listed as 107,398 Pimlico on-site attendance and 10,958 at Laurel on-site attendance.
- "12th Race, Pimlico, May 21, 2011" (PDF). Equibase. Equibase. 2011-05-21. Archived (PDF) from the original on May 22, 2011. Retrieved 2011-05-21.
- "Shackleford wins Preakness". The Associated Press. ESPN. May 21, 2011. Retrieved May 21, 2011.