2069 Alpha Centauri mission
This article may rely excessively on sources too closely associated with the subject, potentially preventing the article from being verifiable and neutral. (January 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
NASA introduced in December 2017 a mission concept to launch an interstellar probe by the year 2069 to search for biosignatures on planets around the stars in the Alpha Centauri system. The mission concept is as yet not funded, unnamed and the technology to get there does not exist yet.
A preliminary mission concept suggests using solar sails propelled by high energy lasers to increase propulsion. The proposed launch would be on the 100th anniversary of the Apollo 11 mission.
- Exclusive: NASA has begun plans for a 2069 interstellar mission, New Scientist, By John Wenz, 19 December 2017
- Nasa planning 2069 mission to look for life on newly discovered Earth-like planets, Independent, Harry Cockburn, 19 Dec 2017
- U.S. lawmaker orders NASA to plan for trip to Alpha Centauri by 100th anniversary of moon landing, Science, By Daniel Clery, May. 23, 2016
- Solar Sail Propulsion: A Roadmap from Today's Technology to Interstellar Sailships (PDF). Edward E. Montgomery, Les Johnson. Foundations of Interstellar Studies Workshop. New York City College of Technology, Brooklyn, NY. June 13–15, 2017.
- "NASA hopes to send a probe to Alpha Centauri in 2069".
|This spacecraft or satellite related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|