48th Chemical Brigade (United States)
|48th Chemical Brigade|
48th Chemical Brigade shoulder sleeve insignia
|Active||16 September 2007–present|
|Part of||20th CBRNE Command|
|Colonel Christopher Cox|
The 48th Chemical Brigade is a United States Army brigade located at Fort Hood, Texas and subordinate to the 20th Support Command (CBRNE). The 48th Chemical Brigade is the only active duty NBC-defense brigade in the Army. The Brigade is tasked to discover, counter, neutralize chemical, biological or nuclear threats. The Brigade was activated 16 September 2007, under the command of Colonel Vance P. (Phil) Visser and CSM E. Donald Moten.
The 48th Chemical Brigade is currently composed of:
- 2nd Chemical Battalion, Fort Hood
- 22nd Chemical Battalion, Aberdeen Proving Ground, transitioning to Fort Bliss
- 23rd Chemical Battalion, Camp Stanley
- 83rd Chemical Battalion, Fort Stewart
- 110th Chemical Battalion, Joint Base Lewis-McChord
The 83rd Chemical Battalion was formerly the 83rd Chemical Mortar Battalion, which fought with the 1st, 3rd, and 4th Ranger Battalions in North Africa, Sicily, and Italy until those three battalions were destroyed during Operation Shingle.
- Colonel Vance P. (Phil) Visser (2007–2009)
- Colonel Eric Brigham (2009–2011)
- Colonel Maria Zumwalt (2011–2013)
- Colonel Sven Erichsen (2013–2015)
- Colonel Christopher Cox (2015–)
Command Sergeants Major
- CSM Donald Moten (2007–2011)
- CSM Kenneth M. Graham (2011–2013)
- CSM Kendall Owens (2013–2015)
- CSM Christopher Williams (2015–)
- "48th Chemical Brigade : Leadership". United States Army. 2015. Retrieved November 1, 2015.
- "48th Chemical Brigade: Subordinate Units". United States Army. 2015. Retrieved November 1, 2015.
- 20th CBRNE commander visits Soldiers new to Bliss, accessdate=2016-07-26
- Graham, Heather (June 18, 2009). "Spartans welcome new commander". Fort Hood Sentinel. Retrieved 1 November 2015.
- Stairrett, Amanda Kim (June 15, 2011). "Zumwalt assumes 48th Chemical Brigade command". Killeen Daily Herald. Retrieved November 1, 2015.
- Janes, Brandon (July 3, 2013). "Erichsen leaves Pentagon, takes command of brigade". Killeen Daily Herald. Retrieved 1 November 2015.
- Ham, Walter (July 17, 2015). "48th Chemical Brigade holds change of command". Defense Video & Imagery Distribution System. Retrieved November 1, 2015.