The 50 Greatest Cartoons
|October 1, 1994|
|LC Class||NC1766.U5 F54 1994|
The 50 Greatest Cartoons: As Selected by 1,000 Animation Professionals is a 1994 book by animation historian Jerry Beck. It consists of articles about 50 highly regarded animated short films made in North America and other notable cartoons, which are ranked according to a poll of 1,000 people working in the animation industry.
Each cartoon is under 30 minutes long and cel animated (with the exception of Gertie the Dinosaur). Seventeen of the selected films were produced for Warner Bros.'s Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies series, ten of which were directed by Chuck Jones. All of the selected cartoons were created and released before 1960, except for the 1985 short The Big Snit (No. 25), the 1988 short The Cat Came Back (No. 32), the 1969 short Bambi Meets Godzilla (No. 38), the 1987 short The Man Who Planted Trees (No. 44), and the 1975 short Quasi at the Quackadero (No. 46). 
The book's front and rear cover art shows a variety of famous cartoon stars seated in a nightclub. 
Note: selected cartoons from each studio for both winners and runners-up (latter noted below) 
- Warner Bros: 17 out of 37 – Baseball Bugs, The Big Snooze, Bugs Bunny Gets the Boid, Bugs Bunny and the Three Bears, Fast and Furry-ous, Gorilla My Dreams, Hair-Raising Hare, I Love to Singa, Kitty Kornered, The Old Grey Hare, Rabbit Hood, Rhapsody in Rivets, Rhapsody Rabbit, Scaredy Cat, A Tale of Two Kitties, Tweetie Pie and A Wild Hare
- Disney: 8 out of 21 – Education for Death, Ferdinand the Bull, Flowers and Trees, Lonesome Ghosts, Mickey's Service Station, Mickey's Trailer, Mother Goose Goes Hollywood, Moving Day, Music Land, Plane Crazy, The Pointer, Thru the Mirror and Who Killed Cock Robin?
- MGM: 7 out of 12 –Blitz Wolf, Mouse Cleaning, Screwball Squirrel, Señor Droopy and Swing Shift Cinderella
- Fleischer: 5 out of 10 – Koko's Earth Control, The Mechanical Monsters, The Old Man of the Mountain, Popeye the Sailor Meets Ali Baba's Forty Thieves and Poor Cinderella
- UPA: 4 out of 5 – When Magoo Flew
- Independent: 2 out of 12 – Allegretto, The Box, Crac, The Crunch Bird, Ersatz, Frank Film, Furies, Lupo the Butcher, Moonbird and Your Face
- Walter Lantz: 1 out of 2 – The Cracked Nut
- Winsor McCay: 1 out of 2 – Little Nemo
- Pat Sullivan: 1 out of 1
- Other Runners-Up: Balloon Land (Ub Iwerks), Flebus (Terrytoons) and The Sunshine Makers (Van Beuren Studios)
- Beck, Jerry (ed.) (1994). The 50 Greatest Cartoons: As Selected by 1,000 Animation Professionals. Atlanta: Turner Publishing. ISBN 1-878685-49-X.
- "The 50 Greatest Cartoons". TV Tropes.