51st Illinois Infantry Regiment
|51st Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry "Chicago Legion"|
Illinois state flag
|Active||December 24, 1861, to September 25, 1865|
Battle of Island Number Ten|
Battle of Stone's River
Battle of Chickamauga
Battle of Resaca
Battle of Kennesaw Mountain
Siege of Atlanta
Battle of Jonesboro
Battle of Franklin
Battle of Nashville
The 51st Illinois Infantry was organized at Chicago, Illinois and mustered into Federal service on December 24, 1861.
The regiment was mustered out on September 25, 1865.
Total strength and casualties
The regiment suffered 9 officers and 106 enlisted men who were killed in action or mortally wounded and 1 officer and 134 enlisted men who died of disease, for a total of 250 fatalities.
- Colonel Gilbert W. Cumming - resigned on September 30, 1862.
- Colonel Luther P. Bradley - promoted brigadier general on July 30, 1864.
- Lieutenant Colonel Charles W. Davis - discharged June 30, 1865.
- Lieutenant Colonel James S. Boyd - mustered out with the regiment.
- List of Illinois Civil War Units
- Illinois in the American Civil War
- 51st Illinois Infantry: Letters, Diaries, History
- http://www.civilwararchive.com/Unreghst/unilinf4.htm#51st The Civil War Archive website after Dyer, Frederick Henry. A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion. 3 vols. New York: Thomas Yoseloff, 1959.
- http://www.rootsweb.com/~ilcivilw/f&s/051-fs.htm Illinois in the Civil War website after Illinois Adjutant General's muster rolls
|This article about a specific military unit of the American Civil War is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|