656th Bombardment Squadron
This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (December 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|656th Bombardment Squadron|
Emblem of the 656th Bombardment Squadron
|Branch||United States Air Force|
The 656th Bombardment Squadron is an inactive United States Air Force unit. Its last was assigned to the 68th Bombardment Wing, stationed at Chennault Air Force Base, Louisiana. It was inactivated on 15 April 1963.
Established in January 1953 as a B-47 Stratojet medium bomber squadron; aircraft not received until April when squadron received first production block of B-47Es. Conducted routine deployments and training during the 1950s and early 1960s. Inactivated in 1963 with the phaseout of the B-47.
- Constituted as the 656th Bombardment Squadron, Medium
- And activated on 16 Jan 1953
- Inactivated on 15 Apr 1963
- Consolidated on 15 September 1985 with the 456th Bombardment Squadron as the 556th Tactical Air Support Squadron
- 68th Bombardment Wing, 16 Jan 1953-15 Apr 1963
- B-47 Stratojet, 1953-1963
- Department of the Air Force/MPM Letter 662q, 19 Sep 85, Subject: Reconstitution, Redesignation, and Consolidation of Selected Air Force Tactical Squadrons