|Owner||Australian Broadcasting Corporation|
5AN started transmitting on 15 October 1937 with equipment located in the central telephone exchange, and a radio mast located in Post Office Place. The station transmitter moved to Brooklyn Park, the site of 5CL on 4 May 1944. The radio mast was moved from the east side of the building to the south side to make way for an airport road in 1952. Proximity to the airport precluded installation of a taller, and hence more efficient, antenna, and its situation in suburbia restricted the permissible transmitter power, so a completely new transmitting station for 5AN and 5CL was built at Pimpala, at the corner of Sherriffs and Hillier Roads, Reynella, and opened on 20 September 1961 by Postmaster-General C W Davidson.
The ABC radio studios, previously in a converted church and stables on Hindmarsh Square, and "Football House", on the opposite side of the square, were relocated to an eight story building in Collinswood, the home of the ABC television studios, in 1974. In the 1980s the radio manager was David Hill. In 2000 the 5AN branding was replaced with "891 ABC Adelaide". This was shortened to "ABC Adelaide" at the beginning of 2017.
The power level of 5AN was upgraded to 50 kW in the early 1950s. The transmitter for this was housed in the same building as for 5CL. The transmitter was manufactured by STC. The final stage of the transmitter contained three parallel 3J/261E air cooled triodes running in class C amplifier at 90% efficiency. These were driven by a class B modulator with the same type of valves.
Local Announcers (Weekdays)
- 2:00am–6:00am Trevor Chappell (Monday to Thursday) or Rod Quinn (Friday), Overnights (broadcast nationally)
- 6:00am–7:45am Ali Clarke, Breakfast
- 7:45am–8:00am ABC News
- 8:00am–8:30am Sabra Lane, AM (broadcast nationally)
- 8:30am–9:00am Ali Clarke and David Bevan, Breakfast
- 9:00am–11:00am David Bevan, Mornings
- 11:00am–12:00pm Richard Fidler, Conversations
- 12:00pm–1:00pm World at Noon (broadcast nationally)
- 1:00pm–4:00pm Sonya Feldhoff, Afternoons
- 4:00pm–6:00pm Julian Schiller, Drive (Mon-Thur), Peter Goers (Friday)
- 6:00pm–7:00pm PM (Broadcast nationally)
- 7:00pm–10:00pm Peter Goers, Evenings except Fridays (broadcast throughout South Australia and into Broken Hill, NSW)
- 10:00pm–2:00am Philip Clark, Nightlife (broadcast nationally)
All ABC Local Radio stations in South Australia, as well as 999 ABC Broken Hill (which is located in New South Wales, but is on Central Time) simulcast 891 programs when not airing local programming.
|This article about Adelaide is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a radio station in Australia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|