From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the year 999. For the number, see 999 (number). For the emergency telephone number, see 999 (emergency telephone number). For other uses, see 999 (disambiguation).
|Centuries:||9th century – 10th century – 11th century|
|Decades:||960s 970s 980s – 990s – 1000s 1010s 1020s|
|Years:||996 997 998 – 999 – 1000 1001 1002|
Year 999 (CMXCIX) was a common year starting on Sunday (link will display the full calendar) of the Julian calendar. Depending on how one defines a millennium, 999 was either the last or second-to-last year of the first millennium.
- The Samanid Dynasty ends with the invasion of the Karakhanids from north of the river Sir-Darya
- April 2 – Gerbert of Aurillac becomes Pope Silvester II and succeeds Pope Gregory V as the 139th pope
- Sigmundur Brestisson introduces Christianity in the Faroe Islands
- Christianity is adopted in Iceland
- Bao Zheng, Chinese magistrate and ruler of Kaifeng (d. 1062)
- February 7 – Boleslaus II the Pious, Duke of Bohemia
- February 18 – Pope Gregory V (b. c. 972)
- December 16 – Saint Adelaide of Italy (b. 931)
- December – Elisabeth of Vendôme, wife of Fulk III of Anjou (aka Fulk the Black)
- Maredudd ab Owain, King of Gwynedd