ABC Artists' Books Cooperative
ABC Artists’ Books Cooperative is an international network created by and for artists who make print-on-demand books. Founded in 2009 by German artist Joachim Schmid, the cooperative participates in book fairs and exhibitions predominantly in Europe and North America, and has been at the heart of a number of shows heralding a new age of photography and of artists' self-publishing projects.
ABC has gathered attention for its embracing of print-on-demand technology, an approach that runs counter to traditional offset printing and book publishing models in which artists can incur prohibitive costs.
- Eric Doeringer
- Fred Free
- Oliver Griffin
- Mishka Henner
- Jonathan Lewis
- EJ Major
- Micheál O'Connell / Mocksim
- Heidi Neilson
- Louis Porter
- David Schulz
- Travis Shaffer
- Paul Soulellis
- Wil van Iersel
- Duncan Wooldridge
- Rahel Zoller
- Hermann Zschiegner
The multi-volume, collaborative project ABCEUM was featured at the 2014 Brighton Photo Biennial (4 Oct–2 Nov) at Circus Street Market, Brighton. ABC was one of five photography collectives represented.
In 2011, a significant number of artists from the cooperative participated in the From Here On exhibition, curated by ABC founder Joachim Schmid, Martin Parr, Erik Kessels, Joan Fontcuberta and Clément Chéroux at Rencontres d'Arles. ABC members Mishka Henner, Hermann Zschiegner, Andreas Schmidt and Micheál O'Connell/Mocksim (who was not an ABC member at that time) featured prominently in the show with print-on-demand books by them. Books by Fred Free, Katja Stuke, Lydia Moyer, Jonathan Lewis, and Travis Shaffer were also on display in the Atelier de mécanique exhibition space.
The cooperative also featured in a self-titled exhibition at Printed Matter in New York in June 2011. Over 80 titles were on view by ABC members Andrea Stultiens, Andreas Schmidt, Böhm/Kobayashi, Burkhard von Harder, David Schulz, Deanna Dikeman, EJ Major, Elisabeth Tonnard, Erik Benjamins, Fred Free, Harvey Benge, Hermann Zschiegner, Jean Keller, Joachim Schmid, Jochen Friedrich, Jonathan Lewis, Joshua Deaner, Julie Cook, Kate Glicksberg, Lydia Moyer, Mariken Wessels, Michael Maranda, Mishka Henner, Robert Pufleb, T. R. Ericsson, Travis Shaffer, Victor Sira, and Wil van Iersel.
- Colberg, Jörg; Hans Gremmen (19 January 2011). "Conversations about Photobooks: Hans Gremmen". Conscientious. Retrieved 16 July 2011.
- "2014 Brighton Photo Biennial". Retrieved 19 July 2014.
- "Gagosian Gallery: Ed Ruscha, Books & Co. 5 March–27 April 2013".
- O'Hagan, Sean (13 July 2011). "Why you are the future of photography". The Guardian. Archived from the original on 13 July 2011. Retrieved 16 July 2011.
- Sheerin, Mark (30 August 2011). "Mocksim, Contra-Invention (2010)". Criticismism. Retrieved 22 March 2018.
- Parr, Martin (1 December 2010). "Contra-Invention catalogue". Photo-Eye. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- Burbridge, Ben. "Why Photography May Not Matter As Art As Never Before". Photoworks magazine. Photoworks. Archived from the original on 16 July 2011. Retrieved 16 July 2011.
- Matter, Printed. "ABC Artists' Books Cooperative". Printed Matter Press Release. Printed Matter. Archived from the original on 17 August 2011. Retrieved 16 July 2011.
- "ABC Artists' Books Cooperative at Printed Matter Thursday, June 16 New York 2011". vimeo. Retrieved 20 July 2011.