ACD (telecommunications company)
|Industry||Telecommunications, Datacenter, Fiber Optic|
|Headquarters||1800 N Grand River Ave Lansing, MI 48906|
|Kevin Schoen, Founder & CEO|
Number of employees
ACD is a Competitive Local Exchange Carrier and Internet Service Provider, headquartered in Lansing, Michigan. ACD provides Fiber Optic Service, Metro Ethernet, Telephone, Hosted Phone Service, DSL, Datacenter and Web hosting services. ACD services all types of customers, including institutional, large and small business, educational, and residential customers.
ACD was founded as ACD Computers in 1986 by Kevin Schoen. ACD built and sold their own computer systems through the 1990s. In 1994 ACD became an Internet Service Provider, selling dial-up, hosting and other Internet Services. ACD Telecom, Inc., which is part of ACD obtained CLEC license in early 2000. ACD then deployed 7 Central Offices in the Lansing and Jackson Michigan markets, and started providing facilities based DSL, T1, Fiber and Phone Services. The company has since expanded to most of Lower Michigan.
Distributed Antenna System and Fiber Optic Network
ACD owns a Midwest fiber optic and distributed antenna system (DAS). This system serves businesses and residential customers. This network offers gigabit Ethernet service to businesses. Fiber optic service is 50 to 100 times faster than cable modem service and DSL.
According to Kevin Schoen, ACD.net’s CEO, “The improved coverage ensures that broadband and wireless 4G capacity are substantially increased in the midwest.” The next generation of broadband consists of fiber optic cable deployed in business districts and residential neighborhoods. Optimized fiber cables will be wired to businesses as well as homes. Not only is the service fast, it will be inexpensive. It’s a game changer for communities that get wired with it
ACD has been provided a $750,000 grant by the Housing and Urban Development under a test project to deploy Wifi Service covering a 8-square-mile (21 km2) area in Springfield, Michigan. As part of the agreement the city, ACD is required to provide subsidized internet access for a period of 3 years after the deployment, which was completed in spring of 2009.
The company has a 40,000-square-foot (3,700 m2) datacenter located in North Lansing that also serves as its headquarters, and was constructed in 2006. In 2007 Virgil Bernero, the Mayor of Lansing, held the State of the City address there.
ACD provides security systems to municipalities over its broadband network. Reference is located here: http://www.securitypark.co.uk/security_article264825.html
Fiber Networks and Broadband Stimulus Projects
ACD provides service such as gigabit Ethernet and SONET services to businesses, wholesale, and apartment complexes. ACD has a construction arm that builds fiber networks.
ACD was awarded two rounds of federal funding for construction of fiber networks in more rural counties in Michigan.
Round I Stimulus
ACD, as part of a consortium, was awarded a broadband stimulus grant led by Merit Network in January 2010. The grant is part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act. A 955-mile (1,537 km) fiber optic network will be built, with a total investment of $44.6 million. According to press releases, the company will own strands in the fiber optic network. The network map for the fiber route is located here: http://www.acd.net/map/fibermap.cfm
Round II Stimulus
ACD, as part of a consortium, was awarded a broadband stimulus grant with by Merit Network in January 2010. The grant is part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act. A 955-mile (1,537 km) fiber optic network will be built, with a total investment of $69.6 million. According to press releases, the company will own strands in the fiber optic network. The network map for the fiber route is located here: http://www.acd.net/map/fibermap.cfm
Speed Up Midwest
This project was created to help government leaders increase broadband speeds. Local tech firms working with local and state governments can create Midwest Gigabit Cities. Over 1,100 communities applied for the Google Fiber network (creating gigabit cities), demonstrating a deep understanding of the benefit of a world-leading network for community economic and social development.
When these Gigabit Cities are built, they’ll be about 100 times faster than the average US Internet connection. It was first turned on in Kansas City in 2012, expanded to Provo Utah in January 2014 and is currently being rolled out in Austin.
- Datacenter Map http://www.datacentermap.com/company/acd-net.html
- GE Mapsite http://www.gemapsight.com/blog/acd-net-obtains-joint-use-permits-faster-while-reducing-pole-inspection-costs/
- Vimeo videos https://vimeo.com/tag:acd.net
- Lansing Fiber Networks http://www.lansingcitypulse.com/lansing/article-10968-the-speed-of-light.html
- Hillsdale Fiber Optic Cables http://www.hillsdalecollegian.com/2014/11/fiber-optic-cables-are-kind-of-retro-if-hillsdale-gets-more-bandwidth-it-may-attract-more-entrepreneurs/
- Hillsdale a deployment city for Gigabit Broadband http://www.hillsdale.net/article/20141016/News/141019315
- Hillsdale proceeds with plan to build new fiber network http://www.hillsdale.net/article/20140714/News/140719625
- Lansing-Based ACD Launches New Wireless Network in Springfield http://www.capitalgainsmedia.com/innovationnews/acd0316.aspx
- ACD Expands Territory Beyond Lansing to Founders’ Hometown of Howell http://www.capitalgainsmedia.com/innovationnews/ACD0332.aspx
- Zhone: Line-driven “N” MuniFi http://www.dailywireless.org/2008/06/10/7840/
- Springfield, Michigan launches municipal Wi-Fi service http://www.muniwireless.com/2008/08/01/springfield-michigan-launches-municipal-wi-fi-service/
- Downtown Lansing Gets New Technology Employer http://www.mitechnews.com/articles.asp?id=5591
- Downtown prepares for Wi-Fi service http://www.battlecreekenquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=201011100313
- Newly installed fiber optics service in Franklin bringing faster speeds http://www.theoaklandpress.com/general-news/20140723/newly-installed-fiber-optics-service-in-franklin-bringing-faster-speeds
- Village of Franklin becomes a ‘Fiber Hood’ http://www.theoaklandpress.com/business/20140721/village-of-franklin-becomes-a-fiber-hood
- HBPU proceeds with fiber optic plans http://www.hillsdale.net/article/20140714/News/140719625
- ACD builds fiber network, improves local Internet coverage http://m.ourmidland.com/mobile/news/acd-net-builds-fiber-network-improves-local-internet-coverage/article_d9d4a9d9-0019-53ec-8cb8-0002d9a267df.html
- Fiber optic network project underway in Boyne http://www.boynegazette.com/2014/fiber-optic-network-project-underway-in-boyne/uncategorized/68962
- Planning Commission approves four, 40-foot cell towers in city http://www.twinsburgbulletin.com/news%20local/2014/10/16/planning-commission-approves-four-40-foot-cell-towers-in-city
- ACD Obtains Joint Use Permits Faster While Reducing Pole Inspection Costs http://www.gemapsight.com/blog/acd-net-obtains-joint-use-permits-faster-while-reducing-pole-inspection-costs/
- ACD Thrives in New Location http://lansingbusinessnews.com/articles/103-2007-april/497-acdnet-thrives-in-new-location.html
- ACD continues long history of consistent growth http://www.capitalgainsmedia.com/innovationnews/ACD0644.aspx
- Fiber optic company expands into Port Huron http://www.thetimesherald.com/story/news/local/2015/04/08/fiber-optic-company-expands-port-huron/25491611/
- "Lansing's ACD.net Determined To Succeed In Muni Wi-Fi". WWJ Newsradio 950. 15 April 2009. Archived from the original on 19 January 2010. Retrieved 2009-10-29.
- "Tech Sector Red-Hot In Lansing Region". WWJ Newsradio 950. 29 April 2008. Archived from the original on 2008-05-11. Retrieved 2009-10-29.
- "State of The City Address to be at MetroixIX building" (PDF). City of Lansing Web Site. 29 April 2008. Retrieved 2009-10-29.