A Cappella Records
|A Cappella Records|
|Founded||May 19, 2009|
|Founder||Chris Crawford, Ross Morey, Jesse Avshalomov, Ryland Hale, Sebastian Wolff|
|Country of origin||US|
A Cappella Records is an American record label specializing in a cappella music. In 2010, the label participated in the UCSC's business model competition, winning first place and a $12,000 cash prize.
A Cappella Records launched as an exclusively-digital record label on May 19, 2009. At that time, the organization participated in UCSC's first annual business model competition, but they were removed from the competition in the semi-finals round. Following their elimination from the 2009 USCS competition, they continued growing the label from an initial six albums to 25 artists, 500 tracks, and 30 albums in their first year. In 2010, the label returned to the business model competition and won first place, along with a $12,000 cash prize. That same year, the label represented four of the 10 groups competing on NBC's The Sing-Off.
Joypad Records launch
On April 3, 2012, A Cappella Records launched its first sub-label, entitled Joypad Records. Dedicated to video game music covers, Joypad Records saw its debut single, a cover of the "Skyrim Main Theme" by Lindsey Stirling and Peter Hollens, chart worldwide, reaching #1 in the Netherlands and Sweden.
- Wilson, Alia (May 22, 2010). "UCSC students given head-start in business world". Santa Cruz Sentinel. Archived from the original on January 17, 2011. Retrieved June 16, 2012.
- "A Cappella Records wins top spot, $12,000 at UCSC Business Plan competition". News.ucsc.edu. May 25, 2010. Retrieved June 16, 2012.
- "A Calling in A Cappella". Gtweekly.com. May 27, 2010. Retrieved June 16, 2012.
- "the gleeks". Gtweekly.com. May 11, 2011. Retrieved June 16, 2012.
- "Here Comes a New Challenger!". Joypad Records. April 25, 2012. Retrieved June 16, 2012.
- "Skyrim Main Theme by Lindsey Stirling and Peter Hollens". Music-Chart.info. April 6, 2012. Archived from the original on February 18, 2013. Retrieved June 26, 2012.