According to Helsingin Sanomat, for years on end Aatos Erkko was the wealthiest person in Finland. He controlled directly or indirectly 23.29% of the Sanoma Corporation shares, amounting to more than €453 million at the then-current trading price (29 July 2009).
His father was the politician and journalist Eljas Erkko, and his mother was the English-born Eugenia Violet Sutcliffe. Erkko's grandfather Eero Erkko was also a journalist and politician, best remembered as the founder of Helsingin Sanomat.
Sanoma made initial public offering (IPO) or stock market launch during Aatos Erkko time. The international journalism was also important. Sanoma has a school for reporters' education and several own reporters abroad, e.g. Sweden, Germany, Belgium, Britain, Italy, France, United States, China and India.
Aatos Erkko was the largest single owner of Finland's largest media concern, holding just over 23% of the Sanoma stock. As one of the key part of Sanoma, Helsingin Sanomat is the largest newspaper by circulation in the entire Nordic region. The value of his assets were in 2012 estimated as of €600 million. Ca €300 million is in international securities managed by an investment company registered in Switzerland.
Aatos Erkko gave once a donation of €2.9 million to the University of Helsinki for the establishment of a professorship.
Finnish Nature Centre Haltia
The million euros funding from the Jane and Aatos Erkko Foundation for the Nature Centre Haltia at Nuuksio is meant for enabling ecological features to be incorporated into the centre’s design. Innovative ways to exploit solar energy and thermal energy from the ground will make the centre 75% self-sufficient in terms of heating, and its cooling system will be 100% self-sufficient. The centre is due to be completed by January 2013. It will present the best of Finland’s natural features and biodiversity, and enable people living in or visiting the Helsinki area to get perspectives on the natural wonders of the whole country.
Jane and Aatos Erkko Foundation donated €415,000 for child disease diagnostics in 2011.
- Kuka kukin on. Who’s Who in Finland, pp. 115. Otava, 2001, ISBN 951-1-17007-4.
- "Aatos Erkko on kuollut". YLE. Retrieved 7 May 2012.
- Eduskunta.fi on Eljas Erkko
- Division of Erkko's estate could bring a new ruler to Sanoma HS 8.5.2012
- "Largest Shareholders". Sanoma Corporation. Retrieved 29 July 2009.
- "Share Facts". Sanoma Corporation. Retrieved 29 July 2009.
- HS: Aatos Erkko on kuollut yle 7.5.2012
- Aatos Erkko remembered in Finland and abroad Sanoma 10.5.2012
- Additional funding – and a name – for the future Finnish Nature Centre at Nuuksio Metsähallitus 1.7. 2011
- Nuuksion luontokeskus sai miljoonalahjoituksen HS 28.6.2011
- The Finnish Nature Centre Haltia – featuring Finland’s natural treasures under the same roof Metsähallitus Natural Heritage Services 6 March 2012
- Tehoa lasten mitokondriosairauksien diagnosointiin 27.5.2011 University of Helsinki